Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodpeckers

Re: Woodpeckers

What 'remedies' did you try, that failed? Any of the 'above mentioned' ? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I tried sonic devices, nets, odor of polecats [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and balloons. None of them worked for more than one night - the bloody bird just made another hole. In the end, there were 12 woodpecker sized holes in the gable end of the house, and another 4 on the back wall. Fortunately it is no longer my problem - my new house is buried to the roof, and every part is concrete. Any bird pecking at this house will get a headache.

Mylash

Beware the MITUS CEMENTITIOUS (Comman name cement mite) if left unchecked, over time, they can bring devastation to earth sheltered housing. Mostly they are not a problem for fully buried homes but tend to gain access at the wood-cement interface, especially if untreated wood is ued (even in the above ground roofing.)

These cement destroying pests live on the leached chemicals that cause efflorescence. They are a close relative of the pest referred to as the polyester mite which has been responsible for so much damage in the west coast fiberglass boating community before the industry wide program to include proper treatment in the molding resins.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Fascinating... I look forward to such monsters ravaging my new home. Then I can happily reminisce about the feeble destruction attempts of the flock of chainsaw equipped woodpeckers, as I watch my concrete palace disappear before my eyes, sinking in billowing dust, accompanied by the belches of content cement mites...

Mylash

Spoken like a true GREEN,that rare individual who puts all of ma natures creatures ahead of his own petty needs.

I'm not such a nice guy! I put ceratin chemicals into my basement wall cement mix and soaked the curring surfaces with admixtures that are taken into the concrete through its micro-pososity and structure of micro cracks (up to about 6-8 inches) and then they chemically modify the curring concrete rendering it unpalitable to the mites and other cement destroying organisms.

I don't understand all the chemistry myself but if yoiu are interested Egon has the inside track on this process.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

No I don't !

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now there is a rare combination: Shy and Modest too.

I saw a Woodpecker pecking on a steel chimney one time.
    He never did give up on it all the time I was there.
    lb
    3 Kubotas
    1 BX23
    2 BX1500s

Pat,

I can recall having a very persistent woodpecker peck on the aluminum down spout for the gutters at dawn every day. Let me tell you, that was NOT amusing.

Woodpeckers use metal to amplify their drumming while attracting mates and defending territory. As with most birds, you need to use non lethal means to deter them. Killing the birds besides being illegal in the case of woodpeckers will only allow others to take their place.