Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seal Boston Terrier

Seal Boston Terrier

Can anyone tell me if they know about Seal BT's, i can not seem to find any around my Colorado area, within 200 miles.
    am looking to buy one , want a older male to breed my female, she is small. but someone told me they seen a BT that the owner said it was seal color, which is redish color would like to find one.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    If you see someome without a smile -- Give them yours !
    You'll both feel better !

Re: Seal Boston Terrier

Boston terriers make great pets, we have a few at my practice and theyre sweet dogs with a lot of energy. Seal is a particular color variation which appears black except it has a red cast when viewed in the sun or bright light. The only way to find one unfortunatley is to search for breeders and request that particular color. Experienced/serious breeders will often be able to genetically predict or "create" a dog of a specific coat color at the request of the future owner. A couple places to try for breed info are:

www.bostonterrierclubofamerica.org/

http://www.terrificpets.com/dog_bree...asp?adid=11522

http://www.puppyfind.com/?act=search...Boston+Terrier

http://www.doggies.com/Boston_Terrier/

I hope you can find something from these....maybe if you do end up contacting one of these places they can better help you narrow down your search. You might need to travel to find the dog youre looking for but it has been done many times before so good luck!!!!

Thank You for the information
    i am going to start my search ASAP.
    you have been very helpful

Abby [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Experienced/serious breeders will often be able to genetically predict or "create" a dog of a specific coat color at the request of the future owner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Interesting statement. "At the request of the future owner"? Any "experienced/SERIOUS" breeders I've ever come across... well, color was the last thing on their mind when choosing a breeding pair. Let alone trying to breed for the color of the day or to give someone a dog they can breed to a small female. (smaller than what, breed standard?) [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Health, temperment, the ability to do the job the breed was created for and conformation should be priority. If you are into show dogs, then you can move conformation to the front of that list. If they happen to have a couple of puppies that will suit a potential customer and that potential customer has a color preference, then that's a plus.

I didn't even think this topic and request would be responded to, but since it was, I'm going to throw my opinion out there on BYBs, which after all, is what this topic is based on.

This is almost as bad as the call I got a year ago from someone that had just gotten a Lhaso Apso female and wanted to know if I could let her know who had a male because "she's in heat, so we might as well breed her".

[img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

1. my dog is very healthy, she has all her shots and gose to vet for regular check ups, that goes for all my dogs. health always comes first !!!!
    2. if you do not know there is 3 weight groups on BT's.
    15#'s and under, 15 to 20 #'s, and 20 to 25 #'s,
    3. There is 3 as of now colors for BT's.
    seal/white, black/white, brindle/white.
    4.I done alot of research on my breeds before i started doing this 16 years ago.
    5.My dogs are not raised in a kennel, they are raised in my home, they eat with us, they sleep with us, they go where we go.
    6.My husband has Great Danes and ( YES ) they sleep in bed with us as well.
    7.There is alot of information on the net about Seal/White BT's, i have been reading , alot of people say it is a Black with a red tint, well the ones i found are RED/white

http://tammysbostons.tripod.com/id1.html

they are very nice looking dogs and i personally thought it would be nice to see what color i would come up with breeding my brindle/white to a red.

I had not thought about selling them, i just wanted to see the color. as far as show i do not show my dogs, they are all AKC or APRI Reg. I sell them as pets.

I do not claim them to be show dogs or coming from show ped.

I have all their Ped.'s and show them if people asked.

and in the old days, they did breed for color only, or for a body weight or size, they would breed two different size dogs to get a smaller one of the breed, or they would get bigger.

I guess it depends on the person, and everyone is different as in dogs.

Yes fred obviously health is the number one concern when considering breeding your dog. When i made that statement i simply meant that if someone wants to experiment with breeding and coat colors as abby did and they have taken the proper precautions and whatnot then a breeder offering pups can tell the person interested the genetic history of those dogs. If someone is really involved in the bloodlines and are up on it and have the free time and know-how a genetic cross can be written out even on paper and the percentage of different coat colors in the litter can be predicted scientifically. I am not saying people are evil and maniacal and trying to just pick designer dogs for the heck of it and in no way implied that this was abby's intention. However i will say that nowadays if people can genetically engineer their own children to have the desired eye, hair color and build then whats to stop it from moving into the animal world? Scary stuff......as for abby...good luck and keep it up!

I did not mean to imply that you don't take care of your dog as far as checkups and shots go, Abby. What I meant was... do you intend to get your dog checked out for any known breed problems that are hereditary. Deafness can be a problem in BTs. Were any of your girl's littermates deaf? Did her parents or grandparents produce any deaf dogs? Some people would just as soon get rid of a dog with special needs, so doing what you can to lessen the chance of producing a dog with problems is a must. Including luxating patella problems and whatever else can affect BTs.

I do not claim them to be show dogs or coming from show ped

[/ QUOTE ]

That's EXACTLY my point.
    One good thing that can be said about people who show or work their dog and also consider themselves breeders, is that they are always striving to improve the breed by choosing mates that compliment their own dog's traits and lessen its faults. In doing so they also create dogs that can only be considered pet quality and they are usually sold as such with spay/neuter contracts to keep people from producing more pet quality dogs. LIKELY they won't have any health problems because of the screening they do.

There are those out there (and here) that mate pets to produce pets and I only wanted to say that I am not a fan of that practice. People like that are only in it for the money and you can ask anyone involved in rescue how many pets they see that are a direct result of BYBs.

I had not thought about selling them, i just wanted to see the color. as far as show i do not show my dogs, they are all AKC or APRI Reg. I sell them as pets.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] OK....

Thanks, I am going to try it and see what happens, i am happy to know that someone with your job is behined me.

I bought my male and picking him up on Sat.

it will be a year before he is ready, but to watch him grow will be alot of fun, will put pictures up of first litter when it happens.

Thanks for your suport [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Abby

Fred,
    I have checked my dogs lines to the point of going to other states and looking at their grandparents and so on,to see what they look like and how their temperment is and look at their lines as well. And spoke to their owners
    i checked them out at AKC and e-mail about their lines, this is not something i take lightly, i love my aminals
    I am not breeding for the money, i am breeding because i enjoy it and love my dogs.

Some people do breed for money and they have 300 dogs in cages and they live terribly, and to that it makes me sad, i would never cause any pain to my dogs if i could HELP it !!!!

My Husband wanted a Pug for years, so I got him one 2 years ago, he done all the reading on them and all their problems, and he decided to have her spaded because he did not want her to have to go thru any c-sections or have pups born with problems. He did not think about how much money he was going to make off her,or how much he was going to loose if he had her spaded, he thought about her and how much she meant to him. He wanted her for a pet and a friend !!! and that is what he has, she goes with him every morning and check the goats and chickens and she is very demanding when it comes to his attention, she thinks it should be all hers and she has a big voice and lets us hear about it alot.

if i had the money i would have lots and lots of dogs from the shelters, and let them run and enjoy life and be free and not have to worry about when their life was going to end because someone did not want them anymore, or they were just dumped off some where, or have 10 days to live cause there is not enough room there anymore.

Congrats on the new family member!!! I'm glad you found one and can't wait to see pictures!! Keep me posted and congrats again! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]