Thread: painting lamp shades

painting lamp shades

I have resurrected five lamps from the basement for use in the main living areas of my house. Two of the lamps are prized possesions as I got them for fifty cents each at a yard sale - yes they look good. I might have to buy one more shade to have five shades. All the lamps have nice looking bases, ceramic, brass, etc. But, the shades I have are old looking and have dirt on them that I doubt will come out by washing or vacuming. Also they are blotched and faded. Two of the shades are big. If I decide to paint them is there any special kind of paint I should use. I want to aviod any long term odor being thrown off the shades and I want the pait to last. I figure I will use spray paint and also inquire about paint type at a local craft store. I will go with white, off white or a light tan (if possible, the same light tan color two shades already have). Anyone have any experience with this and any suggestions? Thanks, Charlie

Re: painting lamp shades

What are the shades made of ?

Egon

If the shades aren't already opaque they may be quite a bit more so after painting. You may have to spring for new or recovered shades.

If any of these will average over say 2 1/2 hours a day of run time, then CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lamps) are a good economic choice versus typical tungsten filament bulbs. I have seen CFL at Wally World and the big box stores in sizes from 4 watts on up. They cost more to buy but last so long and save so much electricity that they aren't an expense but are an investment.

For example: I bought some 7 watt CFL which give the light of a 40 watt incandescent. Each will outlast up to 8 conventional incandescent bulbs based on 3 hrs/day usage. Don't know your electric rate but at 8 cents per kilowatt hour the bulb will use $16 less electricity over its life than if you used incandescent plus you don't have to buy several incandescents. This particular unit is a candelabra base for chandeliers but comes in standard "MEDIUM" base too. Wally World, $3.xx

You'd probably want a much higher rated CFL, probably 17-23 watts to give the light of 90-120 incandescent, especilly with your not too transparent shades. Still, these CFL will save much more $ in reduced energy bills than they cost and will pay for themselves and provide a good return on your investment with LOW risk.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I guess they are made of cotton - silky smooth on the inside and very slightly textured on theoutside. And yes, Pat I am using the small flurecence (14 watt=60 watt regular bulb I think) bulbs in one lamp. That is a good idea. I am wondering if they make a economy compact fluerecence bulb that works at ten below zero for outside lamps? But, back the shades. I'd like to be cheap about it and spray paint them but if this does not work I guess I'll have to spring for some new shades. Maybe before I paint them I should try some radical cleaning like using chlorox ? If I am gonna paint them any way what would I have to lose? Thanks, Charlie

<font color="red"> If I am gonna paint them any way what would I have to lose? </font color>

The shades. If they are realy old the material may easily decompose when hit with bleach.
    Here is a site that mentions temp ratings for CFL. Ones with electronic ballasts and rated for coolder temps should start at considerably reduced temps.

Here is a URL for info regarding CFL starting at temps down to -20F.

http://www.betterbulbsdirect.com/pro...bCflSpecs.html

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Maybe try a little water and soap on a small portion. Have you considered stain?

Egon

Thanks PAt for the site of betterbulbs - I am going to get some CFB that will work outside either from them or another supplier. After thinking about it, I guess the bleach would just wreck the shades. Egon I guess I could use just soap and water. Some of the stains are on the edges of the shades along seams. I suppose I could try soap of some kind and water. I had tried a little water and it did not seem to make too much differencce - I may try using soap and water on the entire shade to aviod blothces of cleaned areas next to old dirty areas. One of these shades is about 30 years old, has a few different stains on it - I remember it in the 1970's and 1960's as a kid. Kinda like to keep it so I will work carefully with it. Thanks for the responses. Charlie

I think you can just use acrylic craft paint, which we use on fabric for other uses. If you bleach the shades, not only may they fall apart, but you could affect the way the paint is absorbed. You could use spray glue and apply fabric to them in sections. Then glue on trim to hide any rough edges.