Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water softener, pressure tank, and pump in garage?

Re: Water softener, pressure tank, and pump in gar

Chuck, I find that those valves that go on just behind the shower nozzle to be quite convenient. After you get the shower water adjusted to temp and you get wetteed down, you can turn off the water flow without disturbing the settings. Then you can lather up, shave, or whatever and then turn the water back on STILL AT THE RIGHT TEMP to rinse off. Likewise for shampoo on the hair. Very convenient and saves water and energy. The valve doesn't quite shut the water off completely so the small flow helps maintain the water temperature. Some of these valves have extension arms with swivels which I like because most shower nozzles are mounted too low for my personal taste and height. My wife likes them too as she can arrange the nozzle to suit her purpose and height.

It was about 4 years ago when I designed and supervised construction of my mom's house and the appliance companies didn't have many platforms for front loaders. The builder tried to talk me into not exceeding a foot in height but I insisted on at least 16 inches (with cabinets below) and it works pretty well. The cabinet under the appliance platform in the new house is 20 inches. 23 would not be too high unless children were expected to access it or the user was less than say, 5'5" or so. I also had a "floor" built under the dishwasher cabinet location to elevate it 8 inches. That last 8 inches of bending is the worst.

Hey, it wasn't a hunting or fishing trip but it sounds like the father-son activity had a definite positive effect. Congratulatiions to your son on his adult thinking, no, make that critical thinking, plenty of adults don't do that well.

By the way, I lived in Lima, up in the northwest corner, from the second half of the first grade through the eighth. Had I not had the opportunity to live in BEAUTIFUL Ohio I may never have learned much about sledding, ice skating, , or had the oportunity to see ice fishing up close (I didn't participate but my folks liked it.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Water softener, pressure tank, and pump in garage?

Well, I finally got around to taking a few pictures (actually my daughter did the pictures) of the laundry room project, which included relocating the hot water tank, well pump, pressure tanks, and water softener to the garage. The project also incuded rerouting the wiring for the hot water and jet pump. We replced / rerouted about 20 feet (at least that's how much old stuff is in the back of my truck right now) of old 3/4 copper and a big mess of plastic connectors the old homeowners used to tie in the water softener. All the pipes are very well insulated for now, but I will be adding an enclosure to help protect the works a bit more sometime this Spring/Summer. The project also included replacing the floor in the laundry room which is where the HWT and WS were before. The pump and pressure tank were in the crawl space directly under the floor to be replaced.

Here is a link to the pics if anyone is interested, comments and suggestions welcome!

http://www.cwts.com/laundry

We also built a 10" pedestal for the new washer / dryer to sit on. Now my wife doesn't have to bend at all to transfer the load from one to the other. A new (very heavy duty) dryer duct actually gets the air outside now, instead of dumping it right into the crawl space, like before. One of the best parts is the amount of extra room we freed up by moving the stuff into the garage.

All in all, I'm happy with the way it turned out given the rush that was put on it. I actually planned to do this later this year, but when the pump decided to act up, I had to move it up on the list. The fact that the pump, pressure tank and the whole lot is right there in the garage where I can get to it if neeeded makes it easier to sleep at night. Now I don't need to worry as much about what is going on in the crawl space [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the help on this one!

Chuck

Re: Water softener, pressure tank, and pump in gar

Hey Pat, been a while, just wanted to say thanks for the help, advice, and moral support through my little laundry room project. It's nice to talk to people that have been there done that! Glad that ones all done, now it's off to the next project, running electric to the barn. Inspector507 already has me on the straight and narrow for this one [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW - posted som pics to the before and after on the laundry room thing. I still have to build an enclosure in the garage to close it all in before next winter. The laundry room was all finished, repainted, etc. Then I started the electric to the barn project which started by me tearing out a big section of drywall in the laundry room to run some 6-3 UF up through the crawl space to the breaker box. You should have seen my wife's face [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Priceless! But after 20 years of living with me, she knows how I am [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So you lived in Lima? I have a friend / coworker that grew up in Lima, Dave Lowry. Been there a few times, nice place. Typical small town Ohio kind of place. I've lived here most of my life. Just after getting married, we moved to San Antonio for year or so with my job, then to El Paso for another few months. When my wife got pregnant, she really started missing Mommy, so I transfered first chance I had to Cinci, then finally back to around the Columbus area. I get tired of the Winters, but I would probably miss them (a little) if we lived in a warmer climate.

Thanks again, see ya around CBN!

I have a similar problem. When we bought our house the well tank was located in garage. We moved it to the basement and put in a ph tank for the water. We also irrigate from the same outside faucet. We are having a bad problem with condensation in the basement on the copper pipes. We wrapped the pipes which is helping and got a dehumidifier . The basement isn't finished but does have sheetrock and is starting to get mold on that and items in basement. We are considering moving the tank back into the garage. Only the tank, and the ph tank. We don't have a heated garage. We moved the tank in the first place because we were concerned with the cold. Do we wrap the tanks with a insulating blanket? Will we have to worry about gas vapors causing an explosion? Help!!!!