Thread: Selling Board Lumber

Selling Board Lumber

Has anyone tried to sell board lumber on their own. Such as to small mom&pop furniture makers ,cabinet makers ,or hobbiests. My land was previously owned by my parents. It was select cut in 1988 & 1998. The property has a mix of white pine , ash, black cherry, hard & soft maple , beech, and red oak on 67 acres. I would like to stay away from having a timber company coming in. I can skid with my Kioti DK45 & use a log arch. That way I would only be dragging the tail end of the log.I might consider buying a band mill or else hiring the sawing done on site. I would also sticker dry the boards or else take them to a kiln. In doing this I would like to cut out the middle man. I have been reading a fair amount of info on this topic but I would like to hear from somebody that is practicing what I hope to do. Any info would be appreciated.
    I do not plan on getting rich off of this but to use it as a perpetual income to hopefully buy more land & machinery
    Thanks Charlie

Re: Selling Board Lumber

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    perpetual income to hopefully buy more land &amp; machinery

[/ QUOTE ]

That, to many, is getting 'rich' if you can do it.

Scott's suggestion to get over to the Forestry Forum is where you will find your answers, very likely (not that you can't get some help here as well). [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You wouldn't have any trouble selling cabnet grade lumber around here as we are a long way from the main distribution chanels. A lot of great wood passes by here on the way to other markets but doesn't stop. You'd have to assess the competition and consider your profit margin if you had to undercut the competition to gain a foothold in sales. I think I would be surveying the area's cabinet makers, trim carpenters, furniture makers, etc. to see if there was an interest and in WHAT. You might want to custom saw to order to help differentiate you from the established operations.

The suggested forrestry site is EXCELLENT source of expertise and folks who have done what you want to do.

Let us know how it goes.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"