Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question on your weather

question on your weather

Vickie and I, and a couple freinds are planning a vacation to southern OK and NE TX. We will be camping in RV's but want the best weather we can get. We have a choice of the first 2 weeks in April, or the last 2 weeks in May. Most of what we want to do and see is outside, so what are your opinions?
    I know Bird is in NE TX and Pat is in SE OK, and many more of you are in the area, so some imput would sure help. Thanks , Later, Nat

Re: question on your weather

Nat, with our weather it's almost impossible to say. You know we had a record high of 85 a couple of days ago with a low of 66 that morning. Then the last two days it hasn't gotten above freezing. And of course we have a drought in the whole area. Early April, we'd hope for a lot of rain, which may or may not happen. Late May there's a good chance it'll be quite hot. So given the choices you mentioned, I'd prefer early April for being outdoors and seeing the bluebonnets and other wildflowers. The scenery and temperatues should be best then.

Bird, You said it dude!

Nat, Flip a coin. Heads come early, tails late, and if it lands on edge 2 out of 3 tries you'll get the weather you expect.

Just a couple days ago I noticed it was a lot warmer outside than inside my shop so I opened the roll-up door and a door on the other side for some cross ventilation. A cold front was on its way with anticipated temp drops of 30 F. I kept an eye on the thermometer so as to close the shop back up as soon as the temp started to drop. I watched it carefully as it went up to 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, and then shut it up and went to lunch. We had snow overnight and off and on for a couple days. Probably a quarter inch in total and it has been about 15-25 degrees for a few days now.

The only thing I can tell you for sure about the weather is that I can't tell you for sure about the weather. Too much chaos effect. The weather guessers have a devil of a time trying to make a good forecast. This whole area is a forecaster's nightmare.

I sure hope you get lucky and have acceptable weather. I STRONGLY recommend that you have a NWS weather radio capability with you. This is the 162 MHz FM transmissions from the National Weather Service. I have units at home and in my truck.

Their info is as good as it gets. They give predictions out 7-10 days in advance but frequently the farthest out days change daily. I have printed out the NWS forecasts from the web and placed them side by side shifted to have the same days side by side in line. This gives a good insight into how difficult predictions are here.

I do wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy the trip. Let us know what you finally decide.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I don't know how I got that pic in the first post. It was supposed to be the camper and the old truck. I'll try again.
    Bird, and Pat ,I appreciate the replies. We went last year on April 2 and had great weather. It got a little warm in San Antonio, and was a little cool up on Mt Scott in Witchata Mt. Wildlife Preserve, but hard to beat. I think we will do OK first then down to TX. It's beautiful here in NC, but you can't see more than a mile most any way, where-as out there if you can't see several miles you must be indoors, and the night sky is the stuff of legends. Maybe I was born at the wrong place.
    We may get to go on out to NM. I think the area around Alamagorda/Cloudcroft is as pretty as anywhere, it will be determined by how long Vickie can take off. She is the dept. Head and they frown on taking to much time away. That is the best part of working for yourself. Later, Nat

I'll try again

Looks like a Sandpiper by Forest River; nice looking rig. And we went to San Antonio for our anniversary last year; April 28. It was too hot the first day while we were out at Sea World and it was too cold and raining the next day when we went to the Brackenridge Park zoo. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Bird, you're good. That's exactly what it is, a 31 RKSS. It is a load to drag around but lot's of room when we get there.
    Kinda funny, when the kids were small we went to Washington DC for a week with another family also of 4, and all of us stayed in an old 18" Yellowstone, single axle. Now Vickie and I go by ourself in a 33 ' 5th wheel.
    We have been to SA 3 times, last year with freinds. It's almost as much fun showing someone new around as it was the first time . I think we will spend some time around the Tyler/Longview/Kilgore area, then south around Dallas then maybe north into OK. I havn't picked out many places in OK yet, but looks like a lot of stuff to see there also.
    Anyone else have any imput on what to see and do?
    Join in, I need all the help I can get.Later, Nat

Nat, Ahh, Alamagordo. On a good dark night it still glows in the dark, in places. I lived between Portales and Carlsbad for a year and have fond memories of the Llano Estacado. I was there when the worlds tallest man made structure fell under ice loads at Caprock NM.

Easter is a grand time to visit Mt. Scott if you'd like to see one of the bigest "Passion Plays" in this end of the world. I have an aunt and cousin in lawton so I get to visit that area every once in a while. Hiking among buffalo is a good photo op. I visited chief Geronimo's jail cell one time at Ft. Sill.

The river walk in San Antonio is OK as tourist spots go. Be sure to luncheon at a place with "bird insurance." I was also at Lackland AFB at San Antonio for 5 weeks once a long while back but didn't get off the base at all. Flew in, hung out with the boys, and flew out.

Visit Wildseed Farms in the beautiful Texas hill country just 7 miles East of Fredericksburg on US Hwy 290! Open to the public 7 days a week 9:30 am to 5.00 pm (CST) This is the largest wildflower farm in the USA if not the world. Worth seeing. Fredericksburg is a good visit as well, a German community (English spoken) and a great Oktoberfest location.

I recall real estate hunting in the hill country once. We stopped and talked to a lady realator. My wife, not seeing anything that suggested HILLS to her asked just exactly where hill country was and the lady replied, "Darlin' you are smack dab in the middle of it!" Don't expect to see anything very spetcatular as regards MOUNTAINS.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Nat, I don't know what you'd want to see around Dallas, but I live about a mile from the Destiny RV Resort on I-35E north of Dallas.

Nat,
    These guys have certainly given you sound advice about spring weather in this area. I will only add that by May, late spring, lots of wildflowers and trees are in bloom and offer nice scenery to any drive. Coming from the east, a drive through Tyler to catch the sight of their Rose festival and to see all the dogwoods in bloom makes a nice trip. If you return to the Wichita mountains, I would encourage you to stop off at Meers for a good meal. Their barbecue is very good and they are famous for their hamburgers. Further south, as Pat said, Fredricksburg is a nice tourist spot, lots of stores in old style western storefront shops. German food is offered in many places. Longhorn caverns off the interstate to Austin is worth touring, too, in my opinion. Austin is called the live music capitol of the country. If you're up for it, you can find music offered in most eating places. I once saw the space shuttle transversing the Texas night sky while Isat outside at an Austin restuarant. You could stop in Waco and visit the Dr. Pepper plant or the Texas Ranger museum [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] Of course, everything I've listed requires a lot of driving down long stretches of Texas highway. Some of the scenery is nice. Some will put you to sleep. But I can concur with you, the sunsets you'll see are worth the miles you're traveling.