Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arena stereo speakers - speaker wire length?

Re: Arena stereo speakers - speaker wire length?

Good day for air rotation, low-ozone, won't rot your tires.

you could always use powered or active speakers. using pro equipment you just run a mic cable from speaker to speaker. you wont lose as much quality when using long speaker cables and then you can add mics with no problem. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, put in that heavy winter weight air for better traction! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Is this going to be a permanent or semi-permanent installation?

If so, I would probably use 12 guage direct bury rolmex. It is probably price comparable to zip cord. Run it to a utility box near the speakers and run something flexible the last few feet. My big concern would be to make sure both ends were very clearly marked so nobody hooks ac mains to them.

It's been awhile since I checked in here.....to answer your question, yes they are run inside a finished wall and also above a finished ceiling(well, they'll be finished once I'm done applying the drywall mud....ughhh!)....I used a CL2 rated 12/4 unshielded speaker wire that I found at a decent price..the 4 wires in one wrap allowed me to make 1 run to each listening area per pair of speakers for basically the same price as standard 12 ga. speaker wire. I know what you mean about the snakeoil advertising...lot's of that for every product/application!

muncybob, Unless you ran the speaker wires alongside power wires for a considerable distance, you should have no problems. It is OK to cross (preferably at right angles) audio wires over power wires, especially speaker wires as the low impedance is much more hum pickup resistant than input wires.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I had to cross power lines twice...both at right angles and I'm happy to say that the speakers sound good...no hum or other interference.....but with nothing but subfloor and sheetrock in there it sure does reverberate!...can't wait till the drywall is painted and carpeting is in! [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

muncybob, REVERBERATE? I HEAR THAT!! There are places in my house under construction where I find it extremely difficult to carry on a conversation due to reverberation. Exposed slabs, bare sheetrock walls and ceilings, and no furniture allow a very live acoustical environment. I am HOPING that carpet and furniture in the bedroom will tame it considerably. I am concerned with the great room as it will not have a high plush furniture to room volume or reflecting area ratio and will have tile floors to boot. I have been musing as to what treatment might be required, short of computerized active noise cancellaltion, to make it acoustically comfortable. One idea that floated up was midieval banners in the lofted cathedral ceiling space between the 12 and 28 ft heights and tapestries on some of the walls.

I know it will get some better when furnished but will likely require some soft wall hangings in the great room and likely the loft above.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Wall and window "treatments" will help I'm sure....banners will certainly not hurt but will minimally absorb sound waves. Fortunately for us we are putting in carpeting...had originally planned on hardwood flooring and then I would have installed acoustical ceiling tiles...but I prefer the feel of carpet under my feet in the winter and prefer not to have tiled ceiling...to each his own I'm sure! We also will have little furniture other than a pool table and bar/stools so the carpeting will be a big help esp since one wall will be totally t&g wood.

muncybob, the MAIN feature of y walkout basement will be a pool table. The walls will have a wainscot made of rough cedar logs, split in half. Above the chair rail will be carpeting clued and battened to the cement walls. Ceiling is drywall and floor covering, if any, over the slab is unknown, moight be epoxy paint or indoor outdoor carpet or...

Actually, midieval banner looking hangings of sufficient weight/density will provide several sabines of absorbtion, especially in higher octaves. They must be significalntly heavier than just flags and are not expected to wave in the breeze, even it there was one indoors. One potential inner layer for a decorative "banner" is lead loaded foam plastic sheeting. Microscopic lead dust is distributed through the foam and makes an efective accoustical absorber. It does not represent a halth danger unless ou get up on a ladder and eat some of it as the lead is plastic encapsulated.

I think the master bed room will improve sufficiently with carpet and furnishings. It isn't as 'live" as the great room to start with.