Thread: Old Gas&oil mix

Old Gas&oil mix

It never fails that I end up having old spoiled gas and oil mix leftover after using my saw. My question is what to do with it. Everybody says "dispose of it properly" but where is that exactly.

Re: Old Gas&oil mix

I still use gas & oil mix that is a year old, I know it has degraded a bit but the trimmers and saws still run.

I suppose you could run it a bit at a time thru the log splitter or lawn mower, a quart mixed in with several gallons of fresh gas shouldn't make any difference on a non fuel injected, non computer controlled engine. I would hesitate to run it thru a modern car system with o2 sensors and all that.

<font color="blue"> still use gas &amp; oil mix that is a year old </font color>

My trimmer and blower don't mind that but my chain saw (an old homelite) only likes fresh fuel. Runs just fine with fresh, won't even start with stale [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

As far as leftovers, I find my burn pile is a good place to dispose of the stuff. Usually right before I decide to burn it [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Does that fuel stabalizer work or is it a gimmick?

It works for me ....
    Leo

It works

If it really works, why isn't it put in the gas we get from the pumps? Seems it would be easy to do, better for the consumer, and better for the industry.

I hear that the mixing oil of certain brands has the stabilizer in it (Stihl does, I am told).

I have not had a problem with 'old' mixed gas ever being a problem in my chain saws, weed cutters, pole saw, or blower. I mix two gallons of gas at a time, about every 18 months, near as I can figure. Seldom drain old gas to put in new, or run any engine until the old gas is gone from the tank. Maybe I have just been lucky, but always have used the Stihl oil to mix with the gas.

For straight gas, I put in some stabilizer in the fall if the rigs will be sitting over the winter.

Same here, never had a problem that I traced to old gas/fuel mix. I do run all gas powered equipment frequently, mix or not. I think a lot of poor maintance and use problems are blamed on "bad gas"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    never had a problem that I traced to old gas/fuel mix

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither have I; had a "problem", that is. But many years ago, 32 to be exact, I did see what a difference "fresh" fuel can make. I had one of the first little 2hp Johnson outboard motors, 2-stroke of course, with a one quart gas tank. And I was keeping the tank full and ready to go. However, I had an occasion to leave that motor, with gas in it, for a year once without it being started. So when I went to use it again, I decided to try it without dumping the old gas. It started easily and ran OK. But when I ran out of gas and dumped a quart of fresh mix in it and took off again, the difference was very noticeable; I'll bet it gained 500 rpm with the fresh gas/oil mix.