Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter blankets for horses?

Winter blankets for horses?

Once again, I need a little advice from some more experienced horse people. We think we need to buy winter blankets for our two horses. We're in Northern Minnesota, so it's gets pretty cold and snowy up here. The horses have run-in shelter only, so (obviously) it's not heated. What type of blankets should we be looking at to keep them warm out in the pasture? Do they rate these things for temperatures, like they do for sleeping bags?

As of now, they almost never go in their run-in, even though it's already been down to 0 degrees here. All advice is greatly appreciated!

Re: Winter blankets for horses?

Unless you've got really old horses that can't keep weight on you don't need blankets. Horse do an excellent job of regulating their body heat as long as there is sufficient hay available. When it gets below 20 make sure they have all the hay they can eat. DO NOT increase their grain ration ONLY hay. By eating more hay they produce more heat and are able to self-regulate their body temperature. A blanket will alter this ability and you will probably cause more harm than good to your horses.

The exception to this is for horses that are shown. These horses are usually kept under lights to keep short hair and look good or they are clipped. Either case requires the horse to be blanketed. If the horse has a good winter coat just leave him alone and give plenty of hay and you will be just fine.

Well sure glad U fielded that answer CowboyDOC! I get a good A*&eating at least once a year on that very subject! I agree completely with U'r answer! Sometimes in summer I miss a feeding and ole lady really rags me about it and then in Coldest part of winter/rain sleth/etc I'll get up and go hay! And she's says I'm crazy! Then we have the blanket argument every winter! Now all this is is "SOME fodder to ponder!" later [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The draft horses of 50 years ago were turned out to pasture in the winter. Perhaps a stawstack available [ thrashing machines ] and left to fend for themselves. They scavenged for food and used snow for water.

Horse blankets were used in cold weather after a horse had been working was lathered up.

Egon

Thanks for the answers, guys! Now I'll take it one step further with the same question, In January our horses are going to spend one month with the trainer. She uses blankets so that she can turn them out after they've been working and have worked up a sweat. Once they get home, will they still be okay without blankets, or will this have some effect on them that will mess them up for the rest of the winter?

Add'l info: These are both three-year-old quarter horses. They do have access to all the hay (grass hay) they want in a round feeder in their pasture. They also get a little alfalfa hay and a scoop of grain every morning and evening.

Well to take it one step farther your trainer shouldn't turn out a horse that isn't completely dry. If you are just having them trained to ride I rarely will get my horses in a big sweat in the winter. If they're in competition then yes they might get worked up. The horse should be cooled down with a wool cooler until they are completely dry in the winter. If you do this then there won't be a problem turning them out.

If your trainer does turn them out with a blanket then yes you will need to keep blanketing them. They will become acclimated to the blanket. If you don't blanket them it will be hard on them and they will likely lose alot of weight to try and stay warm.

Cowboydoc, I so appreciate your insights! I will be certain to check if she turns them out with blankets on, or not. Maybe she gets them dry first, I'm not sure. And yes, they are just being trained for riding, not competition or anything. Is a wool cooling blanket like you mentioned the same as one they would wear outdoors if necessary? Again, thanks so much for the info!

There is a difference. A wool cooler is what you put on the horse after they have been worked. This will greatly speed up the drying process as the wool will pull the moisture off of the horse. The blanket you use on the horse will be one made of nylon usually with a polyfil. They make them of canvas but I they get hard and cold and I can't see how they would be very comfortable for the horse. The nylon ones stay soft and pliable and conform to the horse much better.

Rookie,
    We try to keep the hair coat on our horses short. We just got done showing and will start again in Feb/March so keeping their coats short is important. To cool them off we have taken to this cooler.
    Adjusta-Fit® Bellyband Fleece Liner
    I like it a bit better than wool as it seems to wick the moisture away quicker, is easier to clean and store. If we have worked a horse we try to cool them off out of the wind. If it is windy then we may throw a cotton sheet on them after a few minutes.

A few more thoughts.....even if they are dry take a moment and groom on them so their hair is not matted down.

I agree with the feed to keep them warm. It is also very important to make sure they have access to water and if you can get it in the 50-70 degree range in the winter I think you will find that they drink more. Horses are almost as susceptable to impaction colic in the winter as they are in the summer so help them stay hydrated.

Mark

Mark do you really think the polar fleece does a better job of cooling out? I've tryed a couple of those and they don't seem to work near as good as the wool ones do. You know what you are talking about so I may try mine again and do a little time test. I'd sure rather pay $49.95 than the $150-200 that the wool ones cost. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]