Thread: Another Nailer ?

Another Nailer ?

I notice the air nailers descriptions say what "guage" nail they shoot. How does this relate the nail sizes like 8d 12d etc? Also, are the ring-shank nails sort like screw nails, meaning do they hold better? If not, is there a screw nail for these nailers?

Re: Another Nailer ?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    are the ring-shank nails sort like screw nails

[/ QUOTE ]

If I understand thing right, the "screw nails" actually have spiral threads as a screw does; one continuous ridge, while the ring-shank nails have individual grooves or ridges (rings) around the shank. My limited experience has been that no nail holds better than a ring-shank.

I don't remember what I was working on, but I once had to try to remove screw nails &amp; it was next to impossible. If the ring shank type holds better that would be great. A friend told me to use screw nails if I built a pole barn, so its nice to know there is an alternative that the air nailers drive. thanx for the info.

When we built my brother's house, we used regular nails for the framing, but used plenty of ring-shank nails to put the floor (3/4" plywood) onto the floor joists because he said he hated squeaking floors; he sure didn't have any in that house. And as you said with the screw nails, you want to be sure you put'em where you want'em 'cause you don't want to have to try to pull any out.

I have noticed a lot of pallets are fastened with nails twisted in a spiral. They are shot in with a gun but it may not be a standard framing tool. They are the devil to deal with.

Ring shank hold really good in the right wood, almost as good as screws. Frequently the heads aren't strong enough to take the force required to pull them out.

Good galvanized ring shank should hold well and take the years.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I believe the screw nails will hold better in creosoted poles than ring shank. I've used a lot of ring shank when building trusses to nail plywood fish-plates over joints and they hold very well in regular lumber.
    Another fastener that's impressed me recently is the 2" staple available to be used with a pneumatic stapler. I'd never been exposed to them but after using them helping a friend deck his new house roof I stapled some scrap plywood to some lumber scraps and tried to tear the bond apart. The staple tore through the plywood almost every time and remained in the lumber!