Thread: TOOL BINGE Part 1 Router, Table, Dovetail Jig

TOOL BINGE Part 1 Router, Table, Dovetail Jig

Finishing the attic this winter. Looking to do a bunch of built ins in the kneewalls. Of course this will require some new tools. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Tool 1, Router & table. Which ones? I'm thinking one of the router sets that has 2 or more bases for the router. Looking for a dovetail jig as well. Will need to make drawers & raised panel cabinet doors, Trim for bookshelves.

Performance & ease of use are first priorities, price is second. Don't have time to build my own router table.
    Hazmat

Re: TOOL BINGE Part 1 Router, Table, Dovetail Jig

If you are planning a lot of raised panels and such, move up to a dedicated shaper. More power for those big panel raising bits.

Then for dovetails, get a high end 1/2 inch router and a Leigh dovetail jig.

Spend the bucks, don't look back and enjoy your tools for a lifetime [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Thanks rob. I need to sit with the CFO and lay out a budget for this project. It's obvious that I need lots of tools, but also need the HVAC, electric, walls, and carpet.
    Hazmat

Depending on the use you may be disapointed with most of the router tables on the market. Most are too small. Home built is not difficult. I made one that sits on a workmate bench.

Definetly the high end variable speed 1/2" router with plunge. This will be inexpensive compared to the bits.

Note: buying tools becomes addictive. There is always one more required.

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

I have the Porter Cable Dovetail Jig. Very nice easy to use and accurate. I checked out Sears, Rockler and consider them to be inferior.

Ah, routers! Love em to death! I have three: a PC 1.5hp fixed in a homemade 6' long table, a Bosch 2.5hp plunge for freehand work, and a PC 3.25hp in a BenchDog portable table. And while most of my tools are left around, each of my routers has a special cabinet all to itself.

I love my homemade bench for long stuff, plus it was a fun project. But I also really like that BenchDog with that fantastic fence and dust collection -- great for detail work.

Pete

I purchase the Bosch 1617 variable speed kit. I love it, it came with a plunge base and fixed base and I got the guide fence free from Amazon.com. One of the thing I really like about it is the soft start feature. I had also looked at the DeWalt and PC kits. I believe that anyone of them would serve you well.

Randy

Hey Hazmat,
    I have found 1/2" shank routering offers better results and greater selection of bits.
    For old eyes, a built-in light works well.
    Have fun!!!
    roy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you are planning a lot of raised panels and such, move up to a dedicated shaper. More power for those big panel raising bits.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree, but one should also consider the possibility of using a table saw for making raised panels. You are limited in the shape of the panel (you got your choice of 1) but you can do them and you get as much a bevel as you can with a consumer priced shaper.

A router is a nice power tool. It was the second one I ever bought (right after my electric drill). It is also one of the ones I use the least. The only advice I will give on a router is ... make sure you pay the few extra dollars for a plunge router. Mine is not and lining up plunges by hand can be challanging.