Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving horses ?

Driving horses ?

How hard is it to learn to drive a Sleigh ? I just bought one today and plan to use it as much as possible .
    I grew up around horses about "two centuries ago" ,but never was involved in carriages or sleighs .
    I had seen some driving schools that advertise lessons . Is this a good place to start ? Any words of wisdom ?
    Thanks,
    Big Al

Re: Driving horses ?

Watch lots of WESTERN chanel, especially Gunsmoke. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If you don't have anyone to take you out and give you the basics, a class is a great idea.

Even folks with some experience with wheeled vehicles might find runners on ice and snow somewhat different. The horse(s) need to get acquainted with their new shoes. You were thinking of "Ice shoes" weren't you?

Please post pix!!!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Like I said , I have NO experience in this . Ice shoes sound like what I need . We have snow on the ground 5 plus months a year and I do not Ski Doo .I have tried to post a picture many times ,but I guess I keep doing something wrong !
    Big Al

What typeof sleigh? Where will you be taking it and what will you be doing with it? What type of horse will you be working with?

Can you sing " Jingle Bells "

Sorry for all the questions but they could make a difference in the replies you receive.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Driving a sleigh is a piece of cake if it's just one horse. If you're talking about a team and a big sleigh that's going to take a little more. The horse is 99% of it. DO NOT put an untrained horse on the sleigh. You need one that is older and has been around it alot. If you put a green horse on that sleigh you're likely to get a runaway and cause serious harm to you and the horse. If you buy a really good driving horse then you just need to learn to handle the reins which isn't difficult. I wouldn't bother with ice shoes I would just have them go barefoot unless you are going to be in parades or on hard ice surfaces. If you are then just go with regular shoeing and have your farrier put borium on the shoes. We play with the horses and sleighs every year and it's alot of fun.

Hi,
    The sleigh I purchased is a 4 person "trap sliegh" .
    The seller told me I would need a large horse or draft or a team of light horses to pull it . I am in favor of one draft horse . The road surface will be mostly snow packed asphalt I will be on . We have about 3/4 mile of flat private gravel road to our ranch that connects to the asphalt road .The main road has a few grades on it of (8% or so) for about 1/4 mile before flatting out again . I was very worried about proper traction for the horse . I am in complete agreement on a older well trained animal to pull it . We plan on picking up a doctor's buggy for summer use to keep the horse working and in shape .Thanks again for any words of wisdom .
    Big Al

Pat ,
    Here is a pix of the sleigh.
    Big Al

I'd prefer a Draft type horse as it may be a little calmer in demeanor. A little older and used to harness and pulling. Don't expect it to canter or run for very far.

Make sure the collar fits well and the harness has " britching straps " for holding back the trap/cutter on downhills . Think that's the name for the harness. At first check the horses neck for galling till your assured the collar fits.

Probably don't need shoes unless the surface is really hard packed and has very little snow cushion. If it gets icy they may be required.

On trails where only the horse and sled go they will pack in hoof tracks for their feet and always place their feet in the same track. There may be the odd time snow may get balled up in the hooves. Always face the back of the horse if you lift a leg.

That's the sum extent of my knowledge. Have fun and dress warm.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hey!!! Neat sleigh!!! Man how I would love to get a ride. Now where do you buy a good buffalo robe or lap cover these days? Pleas tell us that you WILL be putting lots of sleigh bells on the harness. It ought to be a law. Oh yeah, do they still make Jonel brand hand warmers?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Actually my father in law has all the sleigh bells for the horse that he had when he lived in the Swiss Alps , I did not even know this until my wife mentioned it the other day ! The lap blankets are avaliable on Ebay ! Plus I have a number of Elk Hides I can use . Don't need a hand warmer as I intend to use a "Hot Buttered Rum" to keep me warm .
    Al