Thread: Kangal anyone?

Kangal anyone?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has a Turkish Kangal? for those that are wondering what one looks like, see pics [note: these are large images]

Turkish Kangal #1

Turkish Kangal #2

Cheers Rob.

Re: Kangal anyone?

The lady looked a bit petit so I couldn't accurately judge the dog size but it looks quite substantial. Heavier framed than a Great Dane, solid head and chest. What does one weigh? What was the breed developed for? Looks like it could protect its adopted "pack" members.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Nice looking dogs! They look quite a bit like an Anatolian Shepherd, but I've never seen either in person. I've always like bigger dogs and rare breeds.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Nice looking dogs. I would guess they must be about the size of my mastiff mix, Mulder, he's half bull mastiff and half Neopolitan mastiff. He weighs 165 lbs. His picture is to the left.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

G'day Pat,
    Thats my boy with the wife, wife is 50kg's,Iri's 4 yrs old now and is tipping the scales at 70kgs.
    Kangals are one of the oldest breeds in the world and are a flock/stock guardian, totally independant, origionally breed to kill wolves, however they have the best nature of any dog i know and can be trusted with infants and toddlers. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Yes very protective and work best in pairs, the dog does all the heavy work,holding the villian down while the bitch goes for the throat. As far as humans are concerned, they don't attack, they will just bail u up till the master comes home.

Its interesting, the respect other large dogs like Rottie's have for them its like they know not to mess with em and will take a real wide birth when i walk them.

Hi Fred, Yes almost like an Anatolian, the Kangal is the purebreed however and does indeed come from the Anatolian Plateau in Turkey

Hi RichZ, I like your dog, [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] he may be a tad heavier than the Kangal and has short coat while the Kangal has a double coat and malts bigtime in spring, there only downfall if u like.
    There coats never smell and we never wash em either, they always seem clean too.
    Imho they can't be beat on the farm and also protect from above, ie, eagles.

I'm on the lookout for a breeding bitch as the one i have, had a small prob with her eyelids [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] She was a freebee and the runt of the litter [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cheers Rob.

Hi,

We have a Kangal as well! It's always so cool to find someone else who has one! We just love the breed - their so gentle, but they are certainly very protective when the need arises. We have two Rhodesian Ridgebacks as well and Cyrus looks over them like they're his adopted sheep [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cyrus is 10 months old and already 31in at the withers and 110 lbs! He's going to be a big boy when he's all done growing - not to mention handsome [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Likewise, your two are beautiful! I just love those big mastiffy heads!

Kathleen

WOW!! Those are some GORGIOUS dogs !!

I really Love large dog breeds .. i think my first /last dog made me think that.
    Michelle

Just a country girl at heart wanting that country life back and the farm of her dreams.