Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front Truck Suspension

Re: Front Truck Suspension

That may be Pat. Think the axles are the same. Mines a Dana 60 front and Dana 80 rear. The rear may have Dana 70 wheel bearings with the Dana 80 differential.

The springs must be different as another fellow has had his changed.

Being short lots just goes over top of me!!

Egon

Re: Front Truck Suspension

Egpm, I don't know for sure, you could be right. Also, Dodge (and other makers) sometimes puts different parts in a production vehicle depending on what is at hand and availability. Fairly early on I had a custom set of front springs made for my truck. They are wound from elliptically tapered round bar spring stock. This gives an interesting variable rate response. It makes the truck ride softer than stock for small excursions about the neutral rest point. Nice for interstate cruising. When you exceed small motions the spring gets stiffer, a lot stiffer, really quick and works well in fairly vigorous off road situations. I highly recommend dual shocks in the front as the shocks are a definite weak point in the design. The OEM "snubers" were a poor joke at best and wore out right away with almost exclusive highway use. They were "TOAST" by 10,000 miles. I now have 70,000 on the truck. Do the math...60,000 on the current shocks and they are indistinguishable from when they were installed. They are gas charged Bilsteins. Very good performance on or off highway, empty or heavily loaded.

I don't think I payed more for these shocks than I would have paid for al the regular shocks they have replaced. The double shock kit was a simple robust DIY bolt-on. I would have gone double in the rear but it was just tooooo hard.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"