Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to do with spare $75,000

Hybrid View

Re: What to do with spare $75,000

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    my use of words remains on somewhat of a level that the people one is conversing with can understand

[/ QUOTE ]

That method of conversing was taught in the police academy way back when I was a rookie. And the guy I considered the best English professor in college said it's usually best to "write" like the Reader's Digest; 9th grade level. Talking and writing in that manner provides the best chance of there being no misunderstanding.

Egregious is a great word. Now if he had called it arrant, flagitious or odius then we would all scramble for the dictionary.

You can have great fun with these words by using them in an argument and watching the other guy struggle for comprehension, but not admit he hasn't a clue what you just said. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You can have great fun with these words by using them in an argument and watching the other guy struggle for comprehension, but not admit he hasn't a clue what you just said

[/ QUOTE ]

And what's even more comical is when you hear someone using words to try to impress folks, and you know he's using the wrong words. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

odius

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh . . ., by the way, did you mean "odious"? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]