Thread: Barn floor Question

Barn floor Question

Ok I need some advice ! I am getting ready to build a new barn with horse stalls down one side . Should the floor ,in the stalls be sloped concrete with floor drains or dirt ? Is there something better to use ?
    Big Al

Re: Barn floor Question

Hello Big Al! I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses and as far as opinions! Here's mine! Keep the stall floors dirt/clay!
    Clay w/slop and trench to outside w/shaving is probably easiler on horses legs and will last a long time with proper maintanence!
    Concrete with shavings with slop! Can clean shaving out and wash out with water hose but may be a little worse on horses legs! Can be slick and winter freeze can cause icey! Concrete allyway & stalls can be slip hazards too!
    Clay/dirt will have to be added to after a while!

Check this thread out for suggestions.

I'd go with concrete IF you use the 3/4 inch stall mats and use 4-6" of shavings. A recent study was done and showed there was no more stress to a horses legs on concrete with the mats and shavings than there was on dirt.

Only go concrete if you use mats otherwise clay
    Larry

We have had a dirt floor covered with several inches of shavings/sawdust for years with no problems at all. It does require a complete removal/replacement every 7 to 14 days or so depending on the wet conditions....I know that spending a lot of time on concrete and wearing work boots even on a rubber mat does affect my legs but have no idea on a horse.