Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sagging gates

Sagging gates

In my catch pen there are a couple of old metal gates with plywood attached to them. I have adjusted the hinge bolts but the gates keep sagging. Any ideas on how to easily fix them without removing the wood or replacing the gates? I am wondering if drilling a hole in the top of the gate and running a wire/turnbuckle from top of the gate to the top of post will help?

Re: Sagging gates

How about a picture to see the setup?

Try to get a picture tomorrow

I used a mobile home anchor, wire, and turnbuckle. I attached the wire from the anchor to a long eye bolt that was through the post about 6 inches from the top. Worked great!

Wire and a turnbuckle are good. Run the wire diagonally from lower outer corner to upper inner (next to hinge) corner. Tension in this wire will lift the dragging corner by transfering the force to the upper (inner corner) where it is, hopefully, relatively close to the upper hinge which is strong enough and attached well enough to carry the load.

If the gate is really wide for its height, you can end up with lots of tension on the wire. The closer to horizontal the wire is the more tension is required to produce the same lifting force (trignometry) so use strong wire and attach it securely.

Should you choose to post pix, I reserve the right to retract the above should it conflict with comon sense.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

As everything/body else as age creeps on "Sagging happens!" Now the ways that are mentioned in all above post are good but there is a lot going on here! Weight, width, etc! & The post that the gate is hung! Anyway another solution is putting a wheel(like a lawnmower wheel) on the bottom corner of the gate! It rolls good and keeps the weight off the corner! I think farm & ranch stores like Tractor Supply sell kits! If ground is to wet to roll the wheel, at least it keeps weight off gates corner! hope this helps! too, BTW, there are not just one solution to U'r sagging problem!

I took a jack and jacked up the dragging end of the gate then ran a wire ,with turnbuckle, from the top hinge down to the bottom opposite corner of the gate. Tightned it up and removed the jack. No more dragging gate.

Sounds good goat! Ain't a whole lot of use to overwork it! Hey I forgot, is it a single or double gate! Well What I was getting at, can u put/does it have a place that the gate can rest on when closed! A small block, just to keep strain off at all times it's just setting there!! roho

Hey Goat! We're still waiting. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

TK