Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good cattle dog and friend?

Re: Good cattle dog and friend?

Rockinmywaypa,
    Thanks for relating about your friend. They are truly amazing dogs. So intelligent. Someone said if you get a Border you best find things for them to do. If you don't they'll find things to do and you may not like them. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

TK

Yes sirree You don't want them running on their own. Hey do you like my handle? My wife left me so now I'am rockin my way pa. as opposed to rock in my way pa.

My Coco is a mix between Austrailian Shepard and Springer Spaniel. I am told that she has more of the qualities of an Australian Shepard than the other. She is the smartest dog I have ever known. She is loyal as can be. She herds my chickens. The first time a hen got out and she went after her I was really upset thinking she was going to kill her but she caught her, put her chin on ht ehens head and her paws on each wing thne craough in her tummy and waited for me. We were stunned. She seemed to knw what to do instinctively. Since then we have been training eachother. I have increased my flock and she takes care of them. 2 years ago she spent a lot of time with me when we got the new chicks, last year she raised the chicks - yep- jumped into the brooder box and they sniggled under her as if she were their mom. When they got into fights, she stopped the fights, sometimes having to pick one up in her mouth and move it. They fought for a space under her hair when they got bigger. She goes into the chicken yard and they do whatever she says, not out of fear,, out of love and she does comand them with just a look. She is their mamma. She raised most of them.