Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equinesaver- anyone using?

Re: Equinesaver- anyone using?

Purina Equine Senior, beet pulp based, my 25yo stud has been on a 10# a day ration for 10 years. I buy it by the ton twice a year. He gets ridden alot, most horses wouldn't need that much.

You get the idea, spend your money on a good chow that has the basics built in, baseline the ration to the chart on the bag, adjust it up or down gradually as needed using body fat as a guide, and then figure out if you need supplements for specific problems. Always change a horses diet as gradually as possible. Consider custom mixing Senior with a 10-12% oat based sweet feed at 3 to 1 or so to economize. Make sure whatever you might mix does not have corn, corn is tough for any horse to digest, much less an older one.

How old is this horse and what is his current diet?

I'm glad we talked [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] , his prior owner had him on rolled oats and cracked corn, a coffee can of each. I wanted to get him on Senior food so I slowly changed to 1 coffee can of senior and 1/2 cracked corn and 1/2 rolled oats. He does need alittle more weight and I was told to worm him. Getting the stuff today.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Its amazing to me how many people dont quarentine new horses and just throw them in a pasture. In the long run that seems like more work than just seperating them for a while.

We had a big old paint horse that hated wormer so we put molassas on the end. I sort of like the apple sauce idea as well. Have to give that a try.....

He's our only horse so he must have come to us that way, unless there is another way to get it.
    So Lazy J, is there human Fluidflex?
    My grandma had terrible arthritic pains too, god bless her.
    Or do you boys just line them up?
    I wish she would have known about something that might have worked, the pain took her before god did.
    Take care.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

I thought of another question, when I get that feed, do I mix it slowly in w/ the feed I have been using? should I slowly mix out the cracked corn but keep the rolled oats?
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Corn and oats. Cripes, thats like feeding your family pasta and potatoes every meal.

I'd love to say drop the corn today but unfortunately you can't. The fungi inherent in corn cause changes in the gut's enzyme characteristics and its those enzymes you must not throw out of balance. Lets say mix a third of each and gradually replace the corn with the senior until you get to two parts senior and one part oats. Oats are nutritious, but they must be cooked to make the nutrients fully available to the horse. Rolled is good but you want to make sure they've been steamed also. Ideally they should be steamed and crimped.

Overwhelmed? I think your horse is in for some noticeable improvements in his health.

This is what I love about this board, invaluable infomation. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Thank you, being a newbie I need this. I will begin doing this tomorrow. I have to say, his coat already looks better w/ the every other day brushing and adding the senior feed I have. Always striving for better, we all want to feel our best. I'll get him there. THANK YOU!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Owning my own horse has been a childhood dream and when I was young I surrounded myself in the hopes of it, then there came a time where it didn't seem possible so I let it go. Now, a reality, I feel like I'm playing the catch-up game. I read tons of books too but alot of this stuff just isn't in there or they hit you w/ so much tech. stuff I have a hard time making heads or tails. AND I am smart, educated lady, but WOW! For some its a lifestyle they have had the benefit of living, thats what I want to feel like in a few years and give to my daughters if they choose to love the dream too.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Reading your post I started thinking about how have learned what I know (as depressingly limited as it is). What strikes me is that the best way to learn is find people that can help you DO things. Some of the fairly simple things you can learn and develop a really good basic foundation by reading.

But so many things are really best learned by DOING with the help of someone more knowledgeable. Funny little things like:
    1. How well does a saddle fit
    2. Where does a saddle sit
    3. How tight to tighten a cinch
    4. How to tell if your horse is off.

Then there are harder things like:
    1. How do you collect up a horse
    2. How do you get them to separate their feet from each other
    3. How do you get a horse to be polite and respectful while setting new shoes
    4. Knowing when your horse is tired/sick as compared to run down (physical vs mental)

Then there are some of the really hard things like:
    1. fixing bad habits started by either you or someone else
    2. getting horses to do most things willingly
    3. Being fair and firm while knowing where that line is with different horses

Find someone you can spend time with, around horses, that can help you learn how to do things. Maybe a local college has a horsemanship program, maybe there is a local club you can join, and perhaps you can find someone’s Grandpa who was raised using horses. If you can attend a clinic from a good horseman it might help you feel more comfortable and confident. Based on your posts you have heart and desire which is great. Now temper those two with patience and you will really be on your way. It sure sounds like you are doing a good job with your horse.

One thing to think about when you are around horses…..Soft and slow hands will get you there a lot sooner than any other way.
    Mark

Thanks loads, my trainer has been a great help and she gave me her Farrier and Vet, so I hope I'm on th road to becoming more knowledgeable. I'm going to try to look up one of those horsemanship classes you refered to. That sounds like fun.
    You and Lazy J have been great helps and like you said earlier, most horse people really want and do help! It is good to find good people around. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere