Thread: Oh the frills of public schooling

Oh the frills of public schooling

I'm a public school teacher. I have been for over 20 years. I'll retire from public school teaching if I don't drop dead first. Every time I think I've heard it all, I hear something new that tops the least of my "doozies" of public education. I was talking to our Ag teacher, and we were discussing, mildly, about how some students seem to be more privileged in our environment than others. He gave as an example of how his students who work extra hours at the Ag farm chasing sheep and other livestock around, get no extra credit for their hard work. It's all part of the program, the kids know it, accept it, no big deal. They build their own barns, feed their animals, care for them, just do the stuff that has to be done. But there is one student who is not in Ag, but she receives her physical education credit (so she doesn't have to be in a p.e. class like everyone else) by riding her horse once a week. Her horse is stabled at a rather exclusive place not so close to her home so that's why she isn't riding more, I'm guessing. Anyway, the Ag teacher's comment was that her endeavor was more akin to a beauty pageant on horseback than a riding exercise. I laughed. But it is aggravating that a certain elite group gets all the frills while all the rest work their buns off for anything they do get. Or is that the American way? Just thought I'd share this little tidbit. Not much point to it, I know. But sheesh, a p.e. credit for sitting on the back of a horse that she never feeds or combs or saddles????

Re: Oh the frills of public schooling

Point taken.

Very Sadly, its not always want you know, but who.

Actually there is quite a bit of exercise in riding horses. I've been the source of information for a # of articles on this subject. We are currently doing some very good research on the subject. Riding a horse not only improves your cardiovascular endurance but increase muscle strength, increases proprioception and balance, and reduces stress.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Ag farm chasing sheep and other livestock around... They build their own barns, feed their animals, care for them, just do the stuff that has to be done...(They) get no extra credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The credit they get is the type of credit that really matters - learning how to build their own barns, feed their animals, care for them, just do the stuff that has to be done. The day after they graduate the marks on the paper won't make much of a difference, but their knowledge will stay with them. They will benefit in the end.

I agree that there is quite a bit of exercise in horse riding. I've seen too much of the benefits not to believe that. And if the girl were utilizing riding time to the extent of receiving a full cardiovascular work out, then, by all means, give her the credit. My point is, why make special exceptions for one student based on a parent's proclamation that she rides her horse and deserves p.e. credit, thus no need for the class.

If I'm not mistaken the same credit could be used for any athletic activity. I know it used to be if you were in any approved sport then you could opt out of PE.