I'm a public school teacher. I have been for over 20 years. I'll retire from public school teaching if I don't drop dead first. Every time I think I've heard it all, I hear something new that tops the least of my "doozies" of public education. I was talking to our Ag teacher, and we were discussing, mildly, about how some students seem to be more privileged in our environment than others. He gave as an example of how his students who work extra hours at the Ag farm chasing sheep and other livestock around, get no extra credit for their hard work. It's all part of the program, the kids know it, accept it, no big deal. They build their own barns, feed their animals, care for them, just do the stuff that has to be done. But there is one student who is not in Ag, but she receives her physical education credit (so she doesn't have to be in a p.e. class like everyone else) by riding her horse once a week. Her horse is stabled at a rather exclusive place not so close to her home so that's why she isn't riding more, I'm guessing. Anyway, the Ag teacher's comment was that her endeavor was more akin to a beauty pageant on horseback than a riding exercise. I laughed. But it is aggravating that a certain elite group gets all the frills while all the rest work their buns off for anything they do get. Or is that the American way? Just thought I'd share this little tidbit. Not much point to it, I know. But sheesh, a p.e. credit for sitting on the back of a horse that she never feeds or combs or saddles????