Thread: Converting galvanized to CPVC in attic

Converting galvanized to CPVC in attic

My galvanized pipe is 40 years old and starting to fail. I was thinking about replacing all the visible galvanized with CPVC. Is that ok? Its for both cold and hot water. Is there different kinds of CPVC ? Is schedule 80 better than schedule 40?

Re: Converting galvanized to CPVC in attic

Better is a relative term. IF 40 exceeds your requirement by a sufficient margin then is 80 better. Not if you consider price. If 40 is more than adequate is 80 better? Well maybe, if it is free or the same price.

CPVC is CPVC from a reputable manufacturer. It is good for both hot and cold potable water. I'm not sure if it is rated for direct connection to the DHW tank. Out here in rural Oklahoma with NO INSPECTIONS OR PERMITS the builders connected my mom's DHW with flexible copper between the tank and the CPVC in the wall. If you are subject to codes/inspections then comply with them whatever they are.

Maybe some of the real smart plumber types know better but I thought CPVC was used because it has a higher temp rating. If so, then why use it for cold in place of PVC?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"