Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My water cooled Diesel genset project

My water cooled Diesel genset project

Hi;
    New guy here.
    Thought that some of you might be interested in my
    22hp water cooled 10KW diesel generator project.
    My Diesel genset page
    Regards
    My87tj

Re: My water cooled Diesel genset project

Welcome.

Very nice looking project. Appreciate you sharing it with us.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] A very worthy project. I wish my emergency power plans were that far along. All I have so far is a "critical loads" panel which collects all of the critical loads so that when the day comes and we DO have a gen set we can just add the transfer switch and go. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Just one comment on the setup in the photos......... The frame has no provision to prevent "wracking" (twisting), and since this is a portable unit, the frame will assume whatever shape the surface that it sets on has, and if it isn't sitting on a pool table, the frame may wrack (twist) and then the drive coupling moves side-to-side. There will never BE a shaft alignment per se. it will change as you roll the unit. Some mitigation of the tendency to wrack (twist) is possible if the unit were made as a THREE-WHEELER since a three wheel carriage is level on any plane. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I've set up a gazillion stationary engines for driving pumps and gen sets, and I have used channel iron many times. Those installations were, however, lagged down and grouted to a concrete floor. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Hi guys;
    Thanks for looking and comments.
    The castors are for moving and storing the generator.
    I am thinking of using PT 4x4's with rubber on top and
    sitting(using a floor jack) the generator on them while running.
    Regards
    My98tj

And the water cooled part is what? Maybe a tank above the diesel and beside the fuel tank?

Is that a hand crank for starting, in addition to the electric starter?

I suspect you have plans to cover the flywheel and the starter ring for safety?

Great project coming together.

Hi Beenthere;
    The water hopper is a red tank next to the fuel tank.
    Neither tank is very large and will probably be replaced by
    external units when I make a permanent installation.
    This motor uses a hand crank(no electrical system needed)
    or I can use the electric starter.
    I am thinking of using expanded metal mesh to cover the moving parts.It is not much use if the large flywheel grenades,but it will keep me from getting wrapped up in it.
    My98TJ

Does that crank connect through to the flywheel? or is it geared to the crankshaft on the 'end' it is shown? Nice feature to have both, at least for an emergency. Do you have to crank pretty fast to get it hand-started?
    I couldn't find much descriptive literature or information on that engine.
    Yes, I was thinking of your not getting wrapped up in the flywheel, not that it will 'fly apart' while running.
    I think Yanmar has a one-cyl diesel. Wonder if these are similar?

I'm curious to as how much you have invested in this setup ?

Hi;
    The hand crank appears to not be in line with the drive shaft.
    I have an image of my costs at the bottom of the page.
    Regards
    My98tj

How does this unit cool itself? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Is this a reprise of the turn-of-the-century (the last one not this one) setup where the one-lungers had a water pot on top that the water just boiled out of? The theory being that it takes what....540 kilocalories per gram to make water into steam or cause evaporation or some such thing? I just can't remember right now [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I jest hate working with Lovejoy couplings [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] .....not enough movement and too difficult to line up. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] A WOODS is my favorite [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I LIKE the idea of the intake flapper! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Now THAT is a good idea. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] We've used all of the usual engine protection systems, but none will protect your diesel from sniffing a NATURAL GAS LEAK or a PROPANE LEAK and going into RPM Neverland. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] An exhaust flapper would if it was set for overspeed. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    CJDave