Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My water cooled Diesel genset project

Re: My water cooled Diesel genset project

One definite reliable means of slowing/stopping a diesel is to block its air input. It even helps you hold the stopper in place till it dies. This is one of the few good ways to stop a diesel that is running on its own lubricating oil fumes (or a leak).

I like diesels fine, especially in our previous Mercedes Benz type autos and our Dodge Ram but personally prefer propane for backup generators, especially fixed ones that aren't going to be moved a lot. I find them more compatible for short runs with fewer maint concerns.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Yes it is hopper cooled.
    I agree with the propane for short runs.
    The last 2 outages lasted for a week each,this summer.
    I do not want a large propane tank in the yard and the amount
    of propane needed for 24x7 for a week or more is a lot of expensive fuel. There was still a lot of diesel available after the
    gas pumps were empty this summer.I also want to use this diesel for other projects.
    My98tj

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Propane would be our choice as well, but mainly because we have tanks of it sitting here already for the furnaces in the house and in the shop. If we did have a diesel set we would need to figure out how to "rotate" the diesel so the tank stays fresh, and right now we don't have a diesel tractor, only a gasser. I don't know HOW these big outfits can store genset diesel for long periods of time and not have it go bad? Hospitals run the generators weekly for about an hour at 70% load or thereabouts so that does use some fuel. I tested a genset once that used THIRTY-FIVE GALLONS PER HOUR during the test run. It was a 16V-92 detroit; that's sixteen cylinders at 92 cubic inches per jug.....over 24 liters of Screaming Jimmy. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

My neighbor has a China diesel gen set, model CJ195M, #22726. Seems to resemble your set up. He became the owner when purchased the home and never started it. Looks almost new. It has no apparent start switch, glow plug, nor gauges or owners manual. It has a fairly complete set of spare parts. It has a battery attached. How do you start it? Is this unit reliable? Thanks for any help.

How about some pics of your neighbors genset ?
    How long ago did he buy the house ?
    If it was a looong time then I would replace the fuel.
    Is it water cooled ? If so then check the coolant level.
    I hand crank mine,but it has a starter too.
    There should be a decompression lever near the fuel injector.
    engage the decompression lever,adjust the throttle to about 1/3
    open and either hit the starter or hand crank it with vigor [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    It is probably very reliable.
    If the fuel tank is empty then you will probably have to loosen
    a banjo bolt near the fuel pump and get the air out of the line.
    My98TJ

Thank you for prompt response. Very interested in pursuing this project. Will try and get picture. Engine date is 1986. Not water cooled. Can't locate starter button. Where do I look? Also, don't know location of hand crank. I would service engine prior to attempt starting, i.e. change out fuel, check fuel filter, oil etc. Set up was operational, but not used in many years. Has had very little use. All components look as new. Where can I find an owners manual for similar one cylinder China diesel gen set. Thank you for your help.

I have sent to a personal message(log in to read it).
    Here is a great web site related to this topic.
    Utterpower.com great home power project site
    My98tj

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] That is some website! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I just have to wonder, however, about how they are mitigating the noise and vibration from these one-cylinder diesels? [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] We pumped water for years with a Witte, A Petter, and one other single cyl that I cannot remember the name of, and it was a good thing that the installations were a long way from the farmstead. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You could hear those engines beating away for well over a mile on a summer evening. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] One of these single cylinder diesels might make a day-long power outage seem like a week. Of course you'd most likely not be running continuously and that would give your ears and nerves a much-needed break. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, the first time we drove to Alaska (1972), it seemed that every time we stopped for gas, we'd hear one of those old single cylinder diesels way out in the woods. Of course at first I didn't know what it was until I noticed so many of them and had to ask. Now I don't know for sure that the two guys I asked were being completely honest instead of pulling a tourist's leg, but they said it ran continuously and when I asked how long it would last, they claimed theirs had been running for many years non-stop. With that pow. . .pow. . .pow, I figured they had to be the slowest turning diesels I ever heard of.

Thank you for information. I will stay in contact. The electrical hook up must mean it has some variety of starter/glow plug switch. Got to get it started! Thanks again.