Thread: Swap'n a fireplace for a wood/pellet stove

Swap\'n a fireplace for a wood/pellet stove

Can it be done? The fireplace we have is really to small to provide enough heat but it looks purty. I just barely started researching but what I would like to do is yank out our fireplace with let's say a fancy pellet stove with the blower fan etc. Any special requirements?

Thanks

Re: Swap\'n a fireplace for a wood/pellet stove

You need to check out the spacing reqired between the new stove and any nearby combustible materials. Some units are apporoved for Zero clearance from combustible materials and can be installed right against wood framing etc with no worries. If you have a wooden mantle you need to be careful about it being above the stove but not high enough to be safe from overheating. My gas log fireplace has an illustration in the installation guide to show the allowed overhang of mantles as a function of their height above the fireplace. Of course these data apply to this particular stove and are not "one size fits all" but you need to consider that safety item as it relates to your stove and mantle.

When you get a pellet stove with blower assisted combustion going, the flue pipe can get really hot and can't be close to unprotected combustible materials like wood. A significant perentage of available heat can come from a goodly length of exposed stove pipe. The thermostatic controlled models with variable speed auger and electric ignition are pretty darned nice. I would check to see if there are any that are the equivalent of "Direct Vent" that get their combustion air from outside the conditioned space. This would eliminate a lot of backdraft and CO considerations.

The fire isn't nearly so pretty as a real fireplace or a decent gas log but it is way better than looking at a forced air register or a hydronically warmed floor or ceiling for ambinence.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"