Thread: Guard Llamas or Guard Donkeys

Hybrid View

Re: Guard Llamas or Guard Donkeys

Our good friends said they learned the hard way that you can't leave guard donkeys in with goats. They stomp the newsborns.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

We've definitely decided to go with guard llamas. A friend of a friend of ours turns out to be a llama breeder, and my wife and I are just getting to know him and respect him. He suggests getting a pair of llamas instead of one, because although they won't bond quite as well with our goats, they'll probably be even more protective of them, and their territory. And no, he's not trying to get us to buy a pair from him. He raises 'show llamas" and he gets pretty good money for them, and he knows it's more than we want to spend. But he's trying to find us a pair of show "culls"from some other breeder, ones with less than perfect conformation. We don't care about their conformation, just their guarding abilities.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

richZ how'd things work out will your llama? reason I'am asking is because 3 weeks ago I had 4 lambs killed in separate occasions and decided to get a llama to try and stop more repeat ocurrances. Well, I still can't figure out what it is that makes them effective other than the sheer goofiness when they're running toward something with hair billowing up and down and body slopping around the likes as I can't really describe accurately but I'll give him credit, there hasn't been another stike since he was put in with the flock. I am well satisfied and am happy with him and the job he's doing for me.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Actually, I haven't bought my guard llama yet. I'm still working on my milking parlor, and I'm not moving my goats to my larger pasture until I'm finished with the milkhouse. So, I'm waiting to get the guard llama until I really need to get him. I'm trying to hold off spending any extra money until I get the milking parlor done, as the equipment, building and septic system is costing a small fortune. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."