Thread: Grand Marnier Glazed Stuffed Ham

Grand Marnier Glazed Stuffed Ham

I've never 'stuffed' a ham before and am thinking about this for Christmas. Has anyone ever stuffed a ham?? Does this work or am I gonna have a disaster??
    [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Glazed Stuffed Ham
    A 12-pound fully cooked ham
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
    6 cups soft breadcrumbs
    3/4 cup milk
    1 egg, beaten
    1 teaspoon rubbed sage
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup dark corn syrup
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup Grand Marnier
    Remove the skin from the ham and place it fat-side-up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake the ham for 2 1/2 hours at 325 degrees F.
    In a medium-size skillet, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the chopped onion, celery, garlic and parsley, and sauté them, stirring, until they are tender.
    Place the breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl. Add the sautéed vegetables, milk, egg, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper and stir until the mixture is well combined.
    Score the ham in a diamond design, spacing the cuts about 1 1/2 inches apart and making them 1 1/2 inches deep. Press the stuffing into the cuts.
    In a medium saucepan combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, and orange juice. Cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until the
    sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in the Grand Marnier. Brush the ham with the glaze, and reserve the remaining glaze in the saucepan.
    Insert a meat thermometer into the ham, making certain that the end of the thermometer does not touch fat or bone. Bake the ham an additional 40 minutes at 325 degrees F., or until the thermometer registers 140 degrees F., brushing the ham frequently with the glaze. Serves 24.

Re: Grand Marnier Glazed Stuffed Ham

I have stuffed lots of ham... into my mouth!

The recipe is certainly a real mouth waterer!

I sometimes get sort of experimental when I cook. I have never stuffed a ham but your recipe looks really good to me except I would be sorely tempted to inject some of the glaze into the meat. Of course to get good penetration of the flavor you might need to thin the injectble glaze a little bit by adding more solvent (Grand Marnier.)

Wish you the best. Report back afterwards and let us know how it went.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Grand Marnier Glazed Stuffed Ham

Pat, I agree!
    I usually score the ham, then marinte and also frquently baste with very much the same concoction. Mmm
    It get's deep down into the meat. I would do it a little different that this recipe says.
    But the stuffing is intriguing.
    I'll post a pic , if it doesn't come out looking like 3 mile island.

Merry Christmas