Thread: Square D Load Centers: QO series vs. Homeline

Square D Load Centers: QO series vs. Homeline

Can anyone explain exactly what the difference is between the QO series and the Homeline series in the Square D load centers.
    I assume the QO is their industrial series and the Homeline their value or "economical" series. What I am looking for is specifics, such as does the QO series have a copper bus vs. an aluminum bus in the Homeline series. Are there any other differences?
    There is a big difference in price and even the QO breakers are more expensive than the Homeline series. Are they worth the extra money?

Thanks,
    JRF

Re: Square D Load Centers: QO series vs. Homeline

JRF, I am not familiar with that nomenclature but I have been becoming more and more convinced that cheap breakers, especially GFCI are a bad bargain. I have had two 20 amp GFCI breakers fail in a Murray brand box in under a year. One failed quickly and the other lasted 4-6 months. I couldn't find replacements sized at 30 amps so went with regular breakers and will only use double insulated tools on them. This is temp lashup during construction, not the permanent system.

Square D has a good reputation. I would probably try the home unit as opposed to the industrial. I elected to use two each 200 amp boxes in parallel rather than buy a 400 amp box to avoid the high price of the 400 amp unit. 400 amp unit is about $1500 while 200 amp units are about $100 each. There would be no improvement in my situation for buying the expensive unit.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

We have installed the Homeline series in our last few projects and have not had any problems.

Our supplier also sells Murry Breakers that will now fit the Homeline series boxes. We have had no failures of either Murry or Homeline breakers or GFI either.

JRF,
    Each style probably has it's own merits. When I was in the business installing vs inspecting, we always used the QO series. The Homeline was new and we were just used to the reliability of the QO series. I notice a lot of contractors use the Homeline series and I hear no reports of "unusual" problems.
    I think either one will serve your purpose just fine.

The manufacturer has an explanation of the difference on this web page: http://www.squared.com/us/applicatio...standingCB.pdf