Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood decking as a shop floor?

Re: Wood decking as a shop floor?

It's "Stick" using steel studs.
    Leo

Now THAT looks odd...the part most likely to catch fire is wood and the part most likely to collapse if there is a fire is steel studs. Pleas...install fire suppression...Nice shop, but not if it catches fire...then it's a deathtrap.

P.S. Not meant as any kind of slam...just a comment on what they finally approved for you. As a former firefighter, I've seen first hand what happens when buildings burn. I'd rather deal with a wooden structure as they don't tend to bend and collapse during a fire.

zbadone, I think you are being wise to consider your feet. About digin out under the floor. In a woodworking shop, the ability to dig out under the floor could be a wonderful thing. You can run dust collection ducts under the floor. You can distribute electricity to "other than wall located" tools from under the floor.

FYI A recent check got me quoted $72.50 for concrete and the nearest outfit is 25-30 miles one way. I get a really super job for $3.50 per sq foot for forming and finishing flat work.

I went with slab floor in new garage/shop/tractor and implement shed (57 by 48) and will definitely be doing something to cushion the slab for my comfort/health. Likely either mats to place near fixed position equipment lke drill press, joiner, planer, table saw, etc. or a wooden lattice on the floor to produce some give when I walk. I have segregated the space into three areas, two indoor and one out. Indoors are the 3 car garage (24 x 36) and shop (24x36). Outdoor is the tractor and implement area 48x21. I have connected the tractor/implement area to the shop with a 3-0 door and a garage door to allow for bringing stuff into the shop to work on it (cars, tractor, trailer, whatever.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

One thing to to consider with a woodworking shop is humidity/moisture control, especially in Florida. You don't want to spend all your time battling rust instead of woodworking. Do you plan to condition the space? Moisture will migrate up through the floor, so regardless of your flooring choice, you'll probably want to have some kind of moisture barrier such as visqueen under the concrete or wood.