Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Water bucket question

Electric Water bucket question

Hi all. I bought an electric water warming bucket for my pony because of freezing here in the north. It has an armored cord but I'm aftraid the pony will play with it and either break the cord or electrocute himself (or both [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ). Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might anchor the bucket so he can't get at the cord? Its one of those flat sided buckets with the cord coming out of the bottom. Thanks [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Electric Water bucket question

They won't electrocute themselves with it. I've had horses chew through a few of these and no ill effects. If you are worried about it you can anchor the bucket to the side of the stall with one of the numerous bucket holders on the market. Then drill a hole through the stall and plug it in outside the stall.

I've also heard from people that spray the cord with the same stuff used to keep cribbing horse from cribbing.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know he can't electrocute himself with the bucket because he does "play" with everything (he actually grabbed my zipper and unzipped my jacket the other day...steals my gloves and runs off with them...tries to "eat" my boots....aaa, maybe its time to get him a pasture buddy).

I was looking for a bucket bracket in State Line Tack but didn't see anything (looking for a big U-bolt type thing). Anyways, thanks again [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Make sure the bucket is plugged into a Ground Fault Interuptor outlet.

Here is the bucket hook that we use. There is no way for the horse (or pony) to get hurt and they can't unhook the bucket no matter what they do. Bucket hook . We do have some VERY cold weather here, and the paddock trough has a heater. But we chose not to use electrified buckets in the barn. We go out at about 10:30 pm to 'tuck the boys in' and shut off the barn lights. On sub-zero days I will add some warm water to their buckets, but otherwise they do fine without the heated buckets.

We use an Eye bolt with a double snap hook (one side for bucket bail and the other in the eye bolt) to hook the bucket to the stall wall.

Then drilled hold just below bucket to feed wire through to plug in outlet outside the stall.

Hope this helps.

Our mini's play with the cords when they get bored ... I've even had one of the stallions pull the heater out of one of the tubs several times this winter (obviously by pulling up on the cord). None of them have ever chewed through, nor, seemingly, chewed at all.
    The bracket that I'm using in the stalls ... after one of the playful young guys dumped the bucked several times, is the Bucket Hanger ... they can't pull the handle out of it. http://www.countrysupply.com/product...aspx?sku=BRA26

I have 3 outside tubs with heaters, and 4 buckets in the stalls, all heated. I just kick off the breaker when it starts to warm up, otherwise they're on all winter ... it does get cool around here and if the horses haven't drank in awhile, the ice gets too thick for them to easily break thru.

After 5 years, one of the inside buckets no longer seems to be heating properly, so I just ordered 2 new ones from Country Supply ... best price I've seen in years.

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Wingnut; you're back. How is everything?

Egon

well, as you might have guessed, Egon ... somewhat busy ... some of it work related, and some of it related to putting 17k+ on my motorcycle last year [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

"everything," right now, sucks; ill spouse, one of our dogs passed away last week, the stallions have been making mincemeat of the electric fences ... and we had 2 resignations at work (with no replacements planned) that mean I get a pile more work on my plate ....
    But, on the positive side, I have a job and it pays well ... [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    We've added 3 more minis to the herd ... so we're up to a grand total of 10 .... and I "think" I'm having success convincing the boss that we need to geld at least one of the studs .... I can't afford to keep replacing all this wire .... I've had to get real innovative at making the fence stay "live" ..
    I've also successfully staved off getting into other animals ... yes, alpacas are cute but I'm not shelling out $15k because they have "soulful eyes!" .... and the dwarf goats are cute, but I'm NOT building another barn .... so far, she hasn't remembered that she still has plenty of her own money and gone around my locked check(cheque)book.

The freeze/thaw cycle has played havoc around this area ... one day the horses are knee deep in water, the next, they're skating ....

other than that .... things are pretty "normal" ... whatever that is. I even found some time over my Christmas holidays to build a new website to show off Carolyn's pets ...
    http://www.dahlhausminiatures.com

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Pete:

It is surley nice to get an update. Sounds like interesting times. The biking time must have been nice.

Now - did you ever get the carb on the truck fixed??

My apologies for getting off thread.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]