Thread: horse psychology question?????

horse psychology question?????

Remember, I'm a newbie now....... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    We brought Captain Moptop home yesterday, a mini horse. We introduced him to Red our standard, Red hasn't had anyone to play w/ except the cows for a month now. They got along great, as far as I can tell. I do have one question, when we put them in seperate stalls for the night, they were making a high pitched whinney to each other. What do you make of that? [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I need a good horse physchology book, I want to understand what is going on in thier brains, what maked them tick. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: horse psychology question?????

It's separation anxiety. Horses are most comfortable in a herd. The herd is their security. Most horses when they are with each other and then separated will exhibit the same behavior.

Do you believe they will calm down in awhile?? [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Ahh - they are just talking about you and the quality of the feed and stalls. Gossip.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You have our house PEGGED! Their probably saying, "Wish those kids would quit brushing my hair right off." Today, Captain Moptop has been brushed 2x's. He was the perfect young man!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    By the girls, not me.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

I hate to tell you but they will probably do it everytime they are separated. Some will quit after an hour or so but others will keep it up as long as they are separated and they know the other horse is close. Any way to pen them up next to each other? Usually if they can see each other they won't do it.

Stalls could be next to each other, just have to do some animal moving. I'll do that tonight. If they don't stop, does that fall under "rude" [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] behavior or if it doesn't bother me, then don't worry about it?
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

We put bars between the stalls so that the horses can see each other. But they still have some wall for privacy.

I'm 99% sure if you put them next to each other it will stop. If it doesn't bother you it sure doesn't hurt them. In fact I try and separate ours regularly. I do this so that when we go to shows they aren't so herd bound.

Thank you very much! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere