Thread: Need to slow down a ceiling fan

Need to slow down a ceiling fan

My mother-in-law and I have the same problem. We each have a gas fireplace and a 50" 3 speed ceiling fan in the same room. The heat from the fireplace tends to go straight up to the ceiling. So, we want to use the ceiling fan to push it back down. The problem is that the ceiling fan spins too fast. We just want a slow rotation in order to gently push the warm air down, we don't want "wind".

So, maybe Inspector 507 or some others can advice me on how to do this. In both situations, the fan is not connected to a wall switch and is hard wired so the only way to turn the fan on is with the pull chain. I've seen variable adjustable controls that go in place of the switch if there is a wall switch, and I've seen remote controls with variable control at Lowes. The guy at Lowes claims the variable controls will not allow a slower low speed, but will only make it variable between the existing low and high speeds. Is he right about this? Bottom line question: How can I slow the fan down? I'd like to at least cut it in half, maybe even make it a third of the existing low speed.

By the way, we've tried the blower that goes in the gas fireplace and didn't like it because it was too loud.

Re: Need to slow down a ceiling fan

Have you tried putting the fan in reverse (making the blades spin in the opposite direction)? This will blow the wind UP and distribute the warm air above down the walls. Most fans have a switch on the side to put make them rotate the opposite way -- but some fans have blades that you push in and turn to change the angle of the blade.

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

First, listen to the GatorDude and run the fan so the wind is aimed up. This is the CORRECT direction for distributing heat. Downward flow is for summer cooling where you want the breeze on you to promote evaporation.

The fan's slowest speed should be fine for homogenizing your room air (AKA destratification for your HVAC pros) withought placing anyone in a strong draft (which is your current proiblem) Just remember aim the air up when you want the temp to go up and down when you want it to go down. Ain't exactly scientifically precisely korrec but it is a fine way to remember it like springing ahead and falling back.

AND YES... you can slow the fan down. There are controllers (similar to lamp dimmers but don't try one!) designed and sold for replacing a wall switch that controls a ceiling fan. Lowe's, Home Depot, etc carry them. If your ceiling fan only has one hot wire to it so you don't have a separate wall switch, one each for fan and light kit, then you can still use the controller but it will dim the light kit as much as it slows the fan AND you can't use CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lamps) with a controller as they HATE IT when you try to dim them. There are a few exceptions but not likely applicable to your situation.

If this hasn't totally confused you, get back to me and I will endeavor to finish the job!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Danny,
    Try reversing the air flow like the others have said. If that is not working for you, try looking at a remote control that fits in the fan housing or canopy. They are available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. They come with a wireless remote. It MAY be able to slow it down more than it is now. Keep in mind tha fan needs to really start on high speed , then slow it down if you want.

I have a reostat type switch on my fans and it works in a variable manner

do not put a reostat on the fan. it will make a horrible humm, and it will blow out the capacitors in the fan. you can get a casablanca or hunter 4 speed remote, that will slow it down to like in the old movies. best thing is to put the fan in reverse, but it depends on how far down the fan is hanging from the ceiling. over 3 feet dont reverse. just put the fan in low.

just a little info i picked up while working for a major fan manufacturer for 4 years.

well have you ever read the user manual of your ceiling fan how to slowdown their item... By the way what kind of brand of ceiling fan have you?, Maybe i can help you or i can give some site that you can use to have some little information...

Sometimes it is good to read the date of a post. Frequently after a few years of no new posts to a thread it is pretty much dead. Of course if you have NEW info post it, some of us read most new posts and may profit thereby.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Hampton bay ceiling fans are so popular, the company has been able to invest in developing additional accessories for these fans to make them even more appealing to home owners. The more popular of these accessories include remote control units and ceiling fan lighting kits that can be matched up with pretty much all the different styles of fans available.