Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Started on new house

Re: Started on new house

Nat, I occasionally run into the same idiocy. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The end of April, Margaret & I went to San Antonio for our 40th wedding anniversary. Pretty early one slightly rainy and foggy morning, we went to visit the Tower Of The Americas (the space needle affair that was built for the World's Fair a few years ago). That morning, they had no other customers besides us, but the young lady at the ticket counter asked if I had a knife, so I gave her my pocket knife, she put it in an envelope, gave me a receipt for it, etc. Then the lonely, unarmed "guard" rode up on the elevator with us and gave us a private guided tour since he had nothing else to do. Of course when we came back down, the young lady returned my pocket knife. Now neither of them even asked whether I had a gun. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] And I didn't see any signs of a metal detector. Of course it's legal for me to carry one, although I almost never do. I did have one in the car, but not on me that morning. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Well we got moved on monday. I still had the computer at the other house, so havn't been able to post.
    I got the final inspection on fri. and the power turned on mon. noon.
    An interesting story on the Phone/cable/ internet happened this week. I had called one of the local cable companies 2 weeks ago and was told that being so far off the road made us unservicable, so I called the other company and they said, no problem. They sent a contractor out to plow in the cable from the road to a junction box about halfway and than they were going to plow a smaller cable from the box to the house.It didn't matter to me as long as I got service. The contractor said someone else would be out tommorow to hook it to the house. Two days later another different contractor came out and made the connection at the pole and at the junction box, again I was told that someone else would be out tommorow to hook up to the house. It still didn't matter to me as long as I got service. A week came and went and still no-one was working on the connection to the house, so I called to talk to the lady I had talked to when I called origionally, but she was out that day. The lady that I was then talking to said she didn't know what was going on, but would find out and call me back and let me know. I didn't hear from her so on this mon. AM I called and was told that there was no order for service for me, but if I wanted they would put me down for next mon. I wasn't to happy so I asked for the engineer who came out and routed the cable . She transfered me and when I explained what wasn't happening, he told me he would find out and call me back. True to his word he called back in 15 min. and said I would have cable/phone/ and internet tommorow. I thanked him and finished, no I continued moving. We spend the night mon. and Vickie was taking tues. off so we got up bright and early to move more stuff. At 8:30 the 3rd different contractor pulled up and laid the cable/internet line on the ground and made the conection from the junction box to the house. Before he got finished a 4th contractor pulled up to lay a temp phone line and make the conection from box to house. they left and a 5th contractor came and installed the modem on the cable for the internet. He had to move his truck so the 6th contractor could park his truck. this is the one that plowed in the temp lines that hadn't been on the ground for 2 hours yet.. The 7th different contractor then pulled up and said that the return signal was weak and he had to replace the modem. Long story shortened, the modem was fine, but the male/male connector inside the weather proof box on the house wall was bad. I would have bet most anything that that piece wouldn't ever give any trouble, but I was with him when he found it.
    So, a communication company finds that it must be cheaper to send 7 different contractors out than to have 2 men and a trencher come and plow in a cable and phone line, one plowing while the other makes the connection.
    This is a true story, I would never believe a major company could be so ineffiecent(sp). sounds more like they work for the state or government.
    Latter, Nat

Nat,

Sorry I missed your posts as you were doing them, but I did go through all of them tonight. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Great job. I love the way you think outside the box and came up with some crative ways to finish off your home. You did a great job and should be proud of it!!!

Eddie