Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Started on new house

Re: Started on new house

As you can see I build walls laying down and sheet and put the house wrap on them with 1 foot folded on each end so that after I find some help to stand them up I can unfold and wrap around the corners. Most of the time I build opposing walls and when my son or some freinds get off work I get them to help me stand them up. They are to heavy for a 50 year old after the sheeting is on

My beautiful wife took the day off from work today and she started on the rock veneer that will be under the front and side porch. She didn't want us to have to get under the porch to rock the walls, and she is as good or better than I at rocking. Our son came by ad helped this afternoon after his wife got home from work.

This is the front living room wall after the rock was done. The house will have a porch on the front and side of the living room and the master bedroom will have a door that will open on the side porch. This is all I have done today, will keep updated, Later, Nat

"I have some of the walls up. I used a styrofoam house wrap that my son used on his house and loves it. He says that the insulation is unbelievable."

Isn't it just a thin paper like material?

It's about 1/8" thick and is insulating as well as a house wrap. I have built 5 houses over the years, but house wrap wasn't a code requirement until this house, so I've never used it. All I have to go on is the great recomendation of my son and he swears that it works good. I know I stayed at his house to stay with the grandkids so he and wife could go somewhere and couldn't even hear them pull up. Of course that could be cause the kids were making a racket, my wife says I'm a bigger kid than them when we are together, but I can't see anything more important than what they want to do anyway.

Thanks Nat, I'll have to look into it.

RaT, I looked closely at the house wrap today and I was wrong when I said about 1/8 thick. It is more like the thickness of denim material. Not nearly 1/8. I got all my outside walls up today and started straightining the walls. Supposed to rain tommorow, don't know if I'll get to work. Later, Nat

There are thicker more insulative materials to be had but plain vanila house wrap helps a bunch. The boost isn't the R-value of its insulation performance but instead it is a giant wind breaker jacket for the building. It reduces infiltration and without it building a tight energy efficient home is quite tough.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Speaking of insulating values and cost effectiveness see attached.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon, that design is not all it's cracked up to be. There's the problem of air infiltration due to ants and worms.
    Now, what's new with Nat?