Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Started on new house

Re: Started on new house

air infiltration ???

In a good Soddy someone breaks wind and it's still there two mounts later. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Worms are right handy for going fishing and fried ants coated in molassus are real good protein.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well, I've gotten all the walls up. THEN! My wife thought the guest bath was to small, we started thinking, always a mistake, and I ended up moving 2 walls on the interior. I have the trusses sitting there waiting but the ground is frozen so I can't dig 5 pier footing for the porch. The way the house is designed, the porch post hold up a beam made of 3 2x10s that in turn support the trusses. The house will have a metal roof, Galvalume. I was planning on installing it myself, but may go with a roofing sub, if the price isn't to bad. I really hate to let anyone else do it as I want to say I did it all when I'm done. I was raised in the country and was taught that there is nothing you couldn't do by a dad that did it all.
    I sometimes think I created 2 monsters in my kids because I also taught them the same things, and they sometimes go to far, in my judgement. I am certainly proud of both of them and try to let them know as often as I can, without swelling their heads.
    as and aside. The temps here have been unusually mild, up to the 70's during the days and this week it turned unusually cold, high in the upper 20's. Makes me want to stay in more so the work isn't progressing like it should. Will post pics of porch when installed, latter, Nat

I worked on the porch on fri. 01/21 all day. I dug the footings for the piers and mixed and poured them. I also started framing it. When you do something like this by yourself it is much harder. I couldn't set the 6 X 6 post on the fresh footings so I had to make some deadmen to hold the frame up as I put it together. I got most of the porch frame up on fri, but my hands hurt so bad I lazied around all day sat, and sun. On Mon I cut and fit the 6 X 6 post to support the frame. All the base plates were for 6 X 6s but not one would fit. I had my power planer in the truck and 2 passes on each side made them fit like a glove.

I got all the walls straightened and double plated on Tues. I have the crane coming on Wed. to set the trusses. I have my son and a friend of mine coming to help. Pics on the way

The trusses are up!!! It sure makes the house look bigger now that the roof line is visable. The trusses have been here for over a week, and were unloaded on unlevel ground so it took some doing to get them straight. I have them braced and squared up. Tommorow I will do the stripping. I am going to leave the rafter ends exposed so the rafter ends were made of 2 X 6s. I am going to strip the over hangs and gable eves solid and then strip the rest at 18" on center. The metal roof manufactorer says you can go 36", but I think that is to far so I'm doing it my way. More later, Nat on edit, wrong pic

truss pic

The same guy that set the trusses on the house we live in now set these and charged the same today as he did in '97. You can't beat that.
    I've owned the old pot burner sitting in front of the house for more years than I can remember. It stinks on lighting and is ulgy as sin, but I works wonders for temporary heat. I take old used motor oil and add a couple gallons of diesel fuel, and it will burn all day.
    The backhoe sure makes it easier to do the first runs of sheeting. My son stood in the bucket and I lifted him up to the rafter ends, maybe 7 foot and he had a stable platforn to work from. You can't tell in this pic, but the reason I quit for the day is a flat front tire.

Sorry, I left pic out, and you can tell it's flat

Great looking house, Nat. I envy you your progress. You guys are working fast. That's a great front porch, too.

What do you mean you guys. Mostly me by myself. I started stripping the roof today after spending all morning plumbingsquaring bracing ,truing, and straighting the trusses. I crawled all thru the triangle spaces, on my poor old knees for 3 hours, I'm so tired and sore I feel like a couple people.
    What kind of siding are you putting on yours? My wife wants board and batten siding, won't have T-111 or cedar. I like cedar lap, stained, but not her, and she's the one I sleep with, have been for 32 years, Later, Nat