Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hot water FAST

Re: Hot water FAST

So you want to use the light circuit to trigger the pump, or will the pump run all the while the lights are on?

Wouldn't the infrared motion detector work as well. The one Metlund sells is made to work with their system. The pump would be triggered as soon as someone enters it's field of view. Even if they want to use the toilet and wash their hands in the dark! I know that in my house I don't use the light at night, but do wash my hands.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We could use a delay-off system that runs the pump for a certain period of time. It's prety rare for me to go into the bathroom and not use at least one of the two lights. Our existing bathroom was converted from bath-only to shower/bath and when they did that the window was taken out and a small window was NOT installed so it is dark in there with no lighting. To bring H.W. to each of our proposed bathrooms, I was thinking of a nice Hoffman can located in the basement next to the H.W. source with relays in it and a time delay....one relay for each light circuit; make everything line voltage. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I guess that would work OK. As my system runs the water from the hot line back into the cold side, you need to shut off as soon as the hot gets to the pump.

If you're running a return line to the heater, it doesn't mater as much if the pump runs longer than it needs to.

Pardon my ignorance..Hoffman Can? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Gary

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Hoffman makes real nice electrical enclosures for build-it-up-yerself electrical equipment. The OEM bunch uses a lot of Hoffman enclosures; fiberglass, metal, etc.; both large and small. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Got it.

Thought maybe a Hoffman Can was a new type of toilet! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Gary

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] It's one of those new-type DRY toilets.....the stuff just sort of rattles it's way down. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dark bathroom? I put a duplex outlet in the ceiling of the master bath for the purpose of using an Indiglow (brand of electroluminescent panel style night light) which runs for a few cents a year. Provides plenty of light for my eyes but not so bright as to disturb another person in the adjacent bedroom with the connecting door open.

I have a 1/2 inch return line from the master bath shower's hot water line to the water heater location. My plumber and I suspect that the thermosyphon action will be sufficient to drive a slow circulation but if it isn't I'll add a pump with a hydrostat and or timer or push button or motion detector or trained rat with a switch or...

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Pretty good idea, Pat. I'll have to look into that night light setup. I recently learned that there is a setup that works all by itself to circulate H.W. A local furnace/hot water heater guy told me about it. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    CJDave

You fellows have me confused again; condition normal!!

Most people try and stay out off " Hot Water " yet you are trying to rush into it ??? Whay gives??

Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I have not heard that term used since about 1975-76....somewhere in that space of time. We had a shipping traffic manager at a company that I worked for that used that term quite frequently. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] He would say: "So-and-So is in HOT WATER now!" Heh heh heh.... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave