Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/2" or 5/8" drywall on ceiling?

1/2\" or 5/8\" drywall on ceiling?

I'm getting ready to start drywalling my addition...the ceiling is basically 24" on center roof trusses....I'm concerned about the weight of the 15 1/2" of fiberglass laying on only 1/2" drywall, but it would be easier to install and slightly cheaper. Is this a major concern for me or am i worrying about nothing here? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: 1/2\" or 5/8\" drywall on ceiling?

I don't do drywall, but have had it done several times and have always been told to use 5/8 on any ceiling if trusses are over 16" OC. They told me it would sag sometime in the future.
    HTH, Nat

Go with 5/8.It not only will support the weight better but also strengthen the house to reduce flex and sway etc.Rent a drywall lift and you could hang 12 footers by your self.Are you finishing it also?

Well...5/8 it is...I kinda figured that anyways. Yep, I'll be finishing it myself...hope to finish the insulation tonight(just small ceiling area is all that's left) then hopefully the weather will co-operate and I'll start bringing in the drywall this week-end. A lift is a no brainer for me...helped do a ceiling years ago without one...had a sore head by the end of the day! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'm hoping to have the ceiling done in 1 day....3 rooms to do with total 702 sq.ft., seems do-able with a lift and a little lifting help from the Mrs.

Here's a coupl ideas.Try No-Coat tape It'll save you from having to finish corners and it's tougher than steel.Also try to rent a Porter Cable drywall disc sander.I also like using a self loading scre gun.

Never heard of the no-coat stuff..found it on the internet(you can find anything on the net!)..looks interesting, I'll check to see if local retailers carry it..thanks

Drywall isn't my strongest suit, but I think the 5/8 is fire rated for ceilings (1 hour fire break) but I don't think 1/2 is. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve

You can get "fire rock", sheetrock annotated as fire rated. YES do use the thicker rock or it will sag.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

just finished the ceiling...it's the fire rated stuff 5/8". Used a drywall lift and it still was a fair amount of work for the 2 of us to install those 12' sheets. Getting ready now to install the walls...seems the only 12' x 54" sheets locally are 1/2" so I guess that's what I'll be putting up this week-end. Using the 54" sheets due to 9' ceilings and trying to limit the seams. I see the foot lifts in Lowes for the bottom sheet(putting in horizontally)....any tricks using a prybar instead of buying the foot lifts? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

You can see all kinds of lashups but how many times do you have to "bugger" an edge before the economy of the DIY lift vs the commercial unit looks to be a bad deal?

If you have any stairs, put two layers of fire rock under them. You can do the first layer with "scraps" so long as you fill the space. This is a FIRE thing. In case of fire it is supposed to delay the weakening of the stairs and prevent premature collapse which could trap someone or injure a fireman in the act of rescuing someone.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"