Thread: 1/2" or 5/8" drywall on ceiling?

Hybrid View

1/2\" or 5/8\" drywall on ceiling?

I'm getting ready to start drywalling my addition...the ceiling is basically 24" on center roof trusses....I'm concerned about the weight of the 15 1/2" of fiberglass laying on only 1/2" drywall, but it would be easier to install and slightly cheaper. Is this a major concern for me or am i worrying about nothing here? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: 1/2\" or 5/8\" drywall on ceiling?

I don't do drywall, but have had it done several times and have always been told to use 5/8 on any ceiling if trusses are over 16" OC. They told me it would sag sometime in the future.
    HTH, Nat

Go with 5/8.It not only will support the weight better but also strengthen the house to reduce flex and sway etc.Rent a drywall lift and you could hang 12 footers by your self.Are you finishing it also?

Well...5/8 it is...I kinda figured that anyways. Yep, I'll be finishing it myself...hope to finish the insulation tonight(just small ceiling area is all that's left) then hopefully the weather will co-operate and I'll start bringing in the drywall this week-end. A lift is a no brainer for me...helped do a ceiling years ago without one...had a sore head by the end of the day! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'm hoping to have the ceiling done in 1 day....3 rooms to do with total 702 sq.ft., seems do-able with a lift and a little lifting help from the Mrs.

Here's a coupl ideas.Try No-Coat tape It'll save you from having to finish corners and it's tougher than steel.Also try to rent a Porter Cable drywall disc sander.I also like using a self loading scre gun.

Never heard of the no-coat stuff..found it on the internet(you can find anything on the net!)..looks interesting, I'll check to see if local retailers carry it..thanks