Thread: Spruce Seedling Planting

Spruce Seedling Planting

Purchased some land that I want to plant seedlings on to eventually provide a privacy bearier. Wondering what spacing you recommend to plant these at. I was thinking 3 rows, each row 8' apart with trees spaced 15' apart and have them staggered so the front and back row are in line with the middle row in between, so technically looking from the road there would be about 7.5 feet between trees. I want to be able to brush hog the rows so that's where I was getting the spacing. After thinking about it, was thinking 10' between trees might be better. Any suggestions??

Re: Spruce Seedling Planting

Spacing and species selection are largely contingent upon when you want results... case in point - if you wish quick results close spacing is the answer, but one will pay the price down the road as the tree crowns close in and cause premature mortality or a lessening of windbreak/visual break effect.

Having said that, your spacing is a good middle of the road spacing. The big question is what type of spruce are you planting? I imagine in WI it is white spruce, but could also be Norway Spruce (Picea abies), blue spruce (P. pungens) or even black spruce. If you have selected Norway Spruce, your spacing is a bit too close. If white or blue, its OK but still a bit too close, and if black spruce about right.

If deer are not too big a problem (i know they are, as i do lots of business in WI - i'm a consulting forester)... you might consider planting a real tight windbreak/visual break of Northern White Cedar (Thuja occidentalis). Hands down, it makes the best visual break. Plant close... three rows four feet apart, and then space seedlings 36" apart in rows, staggering between rows. You will have good visual break results in 4-5 years, and none of the biological problems associated with the spruce and/or pines. Problem is deer love cedar...

Good luck in your pursuit!

This is an interesting post to me.

I planted a number of ponderosa pine close together in case some died and because I wanted a barrier from road. As the trees grew and seemed to be getting too close I simply cut some of them down.

Now that many of them are 10-15' tall I think I need to remove some more.

Now my question....is there any signficant risk to the trees that are standing if I cut off the others down by the ground? My concerns are being blown over by the wind. Any concerns from bettles or such coming from the stumps as they decay?

Thanks,
    Mark

Thanks Bob,
    They will be white spruce, like you said the deer like the cedars and the local land cons. said the soil type I have white spruce will do the best. When you said the spacing is about right, were you talking the 10' or 15' or doesn't it really matter.
    Thanks again!

I had to remove about 12 mature Ponderosa this year from bark beetle. They only went after the Ponderosa even though I have other pines on the parcel.

I live in California, so that could be a factor. Not sure. Some of the mountains in the Los Angeles area were devistated by the beetles over the past few years. Thousands of trees killed.

The experts tell us simply to keep the trees irrigated and in good overall health. Since we have suffered from drought conditions now for many years, the beetles have had their way.

Martin

Martin, thats interesting.

I have a couple of mature Ponderosa down by the creek (seasonal) where the ground stays pretty moist year round and they seem to be doing well.

I also have some smaller ones along with some mature up further on the hill where it gets bone dry. So how do you water them? Is it as simple as a soaker hose around the tree? Do you fertilize?

thanks,
    Mark