My Jetta has had a rough life, without doubt. In 1997 (the year of those horrendous ice storms), I got nailed in the side at 35 mph at Acadia National Park (We didn't see much on that trip). The dealership in Ellsworth did a premium job of repairing the damage (costing the other driver's insurance company about $12,000 and setting a Maine record on the longest use of a rental car). The job took about 4 months. At 80,000 miles, the cruise control decided that it would not operate reliably. Over the years, the problem has worsened to the point that I never use it because it is a rare event when I can actually get it to activate and then within a few hours (or the nearest rest stop) it shuts itself off and can't be reactivated. I've got no mechanical experience, but my guess would be a vacuum leak somewhere. It could also be an electircal problem. Only one of the four electric windows (the driver's) is still operational (two probably because of the accident in Maine and the other because I clipped a deer in the driver's side front -- another $3,000 in damage). This is my second, and last VW, and I've decided that although the engines and transmissions last forever (mine's up to 200,000 miles and going strong), VW electrical systems are subpar. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] So any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated (selling the car is not an option until 2006). The dealership has jumped to the conclusion that the computer is bad, but I've given up trusting VW shops after they replaced a perfectly functioning throtle valve assembly (for ~$400) and darn near trashed the engine due to excessive random revving of the engine (4000+ rpm)... like when you're shifting gears and have your foot off the accelerator!