Thread: '96 VW Jetta w/Cruise Control Probs

\'96 VW Jetta w/Cruise Control Probs

My Jetta has had a rough life, without doubt. In 1997 (the year of those horrendous ice storms), I got nailed in the side at 35 mph at Acadia National Park (We didn't see much on that trip). The dealership in Ellsworth did a premium job of repairing the damage (costing the other driver's insurance company about $12,000 and setting a Maine record on the longest use of a rental car). The job took about 4 months. At 80,000 miles, the cruise control decided that it would not operate reliably. Over the years, the problem has worsened to the point that I never use it because it is a rare event when I can actually get it to activate and then within a few hours (or the nearest rest stop) it shuts itself off and can't be reactivated. I've got no mechanical experience, but my guess would be a vacuum leak somewhere. It could also be an electircal problem. Only one of the four electric windows (the driver's) is still operational (two probably because of the accident in Maine and the other because I clipped a deer in the driver's side front -- another $3,000 in damage). This is my second, and last VW, and I've decided that although the engines and transmissions last forever (mine's up to 200,000 miles and going strong), VW electrical systems are subpar. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] So any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated (selling the car is not an option until 2006). The dealership has jumped to the conclusion that the computer is bad, but I've given up trusting VW shops after they replaced a perfectly functioning throtle valve assembly (for ~$400) and darn near trashed the engine due to excessive random revving of the engine (4000+ rpm)... like when you're shifting gears and have your foot off the accelerator!

Re: \'96 VW Jetta w/Cruise Control Probs

Well, its difficult to diagnose any problem from afar, and electrical problems in particular. In your case matters are complicated even further by the vehicle history.

VW electrical is no more or less reliable than the industry in general, and european products in particular. I can't recollect the cruise on your car in particular, but I believe it is a system based primarilly on electrical control. There may be very little, or even no external mechanical control specifically for the cruise.

I'm assuming from your posting that you have been taking your car to VW dealerships. While we expect the dealer to be the most competent with the vehicles they sell, high mileage 8 year old cars with intermittant electrical problems are exactly the sort of cars that flat-rate technicians avoid like the plague (believe me - just one of these can take up so much of a techs time that his ability to make next months mortgage payment becomes a question).

Fortunately VW's have a "cult" following, and most shops who specialized in the ubiquitous Beetle stayed current and now service VW's more modern products.

I would reccomend to you to locate a good aftermarket shop who either specializes in VW, or does a large amount of German product work. Word-of-mouth is the best bet, but you can also use the internet to track down likely shops. Many specialty shops have web pages these days because they need to find a larger market than whats available "in town". Also many marque specific car clubs will have web pages, and these clubs often have "pet" shops where they have found excellent service. Another alternative is to search for a salvage yard that specializes in either VW or German vehicles, and if one is nearby ask if they can reccomend a shop.

One of the advantages to an aftermarket specialty shop is that they often have "parts cars" on hand. This is a real boon to both your wallet (since they'll sell you a used control module for much less than new) and their ability to test - if you have a component on-hand sometimes the most effective diagnosis is to just try a different on and see what happens.

In any event, with any vehicle, and particularly a "special needs" car like yours, you need to have a good working relationship with your tech. Find someone you feel you can trust, who seems interested in having you as a customer, and stick with them. The relationship you develop will save you more time and money in the long run than shopping price or convenience from job to job.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Anjou

The smart thing to do with a VW is to do the least you can to keep it running until you can get rid of it. If you do not need it don't spend money on fixing it. You are also smart in not considering a new VW. VW is having massive problems with quality control and VWoA is not standing behind their products. There is a growing chorus of people fed up with VW and their sales have dropped three years in a row.

RonL

AMEN!!! Check Consumers Reports comments on VW's declining quality.

(Sorry guys, no insult or slight intended to any loyal follower of VW. Strong evidence supports the claims of decline. If you are happy, good for you, lots of others aren't and for good reason.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

P.S. I am still driving an air cooled bug as a "FUN CAR" but it is way simpler and from a different era.
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat

I wouldn't be surprised if VW goes the way of Fiat and drops out of the American market. They're having the same quality control problems that Fiat had. Sales in the US have dropped for three years in a row. The American market is a one billion dollar drain on VW. Worldwide VW's profit is approaching zip. The share holders are demanding that VW management cut costs and return to profitability. For those contemplating the purchase of a VW product I would be concerned about owning an orphan product.

RonL

Ron, I had two of those Fix It Again Tony (FIAT) thingies. Both were used 124 wagons. They were OK but not outstanding. Remember Remy Juliene, worlds best living stunt driver who always drove FIAT??? Died in a FIAT crash.

The most amusing thing about FIAT is the new Fiat driver who almost always turns his lights off when driving at night just before making a right turn. The control stalk for the lights (off, running, headlights) is located on the left of the steering wheel where EVERYONE else has the turn signals. Up or clockwise is OFF. So along comes new FIAT pilot who should signal well in advance of the turn but like so many other yuppie larva, signals as they start to turn and switches off the headlights just as they start to turn right. Eventully this shold be good for some Darwin awards!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"