Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chicken/Egg Question

Re: Chicken/Egg Question

We have four hens mostly as pets, so we know which ones lay which eggs. One hen always lays jumbos and a large fraction of the time they are double yolk. So maybe it's a genetic thing and runs in families. Our other hens have never laid a double yolk.

Today I opened the second package of egg that I bought, same brand. Of three eggs, only one was double yoked. But the three eggs volume measured seven oz. Made a really big plate of scrambled eggs.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I raise chickens and the tinest egg was about as big as a little chocolate candyegg , One of those you see at easter. I have a white leghorn that lays big white eggs , and a rhode island red that lays smaller tan eggs. The yokes of yard birds are much darker yellow. They are better for you. If you buy eggs at the store, notice the date that is on them , so you think they are fresh, count back 45 days from that date , that is how old they are.... I'm serious!!! I work inspecting chickens and I see some strange ones , like ones with 3 legs and so on .. all of the hormones and chemicals they are fed. I'm thinking about butchering my own, at least i know what I feed them.... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

We get double yolks from our free ranging Chicken eggs sometimes too. I read somewhere that on avg. eggs brought in the store can be up to 6 wks old.
    http://www.poultryconnection.com/phpBB2/index.php
    These guys really know thier chickens, look up this site.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere