Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Outdoors Propane Smoker

Great Outdoors Propane Smoker

I've been mulling over smokers for a few weeks...probably due to some posts over on TBN. Almost went with the Weber Smoky Mountain charcoal, but thought that electric or propane might do as good a job with less baby-sitting. Went out to look for electrics and couldn't find any with thermostatic controls and stumbled into the GO 36" propane smoker at WalMart. As I hadn't really read any review, etc on propane I returned home and did some "googling". All reports indicated that the propane models were easy to use and gave excellent results so I went back and bought one.
    I was surprised at how well everything fitted and the construction seems to be better than most things like this, even though it was made in China. Clear easy instructions and assembly. I read in several places that the cast iron wood box was too small, but I used some seasoned oak board cut-offs about 5"x5"x3/4" stacked in the bowl and had smoke for several hours at around 225f. Plenty of time to smoke the meat. That was yesterday, with thick cut pork chops. Needless to say, it's loaded with a 8lb Boston Butt as I type and has been smoking for about two hours. Figure that by the time I knock off three or four George Dickle's this evening it'll be ready.
    I thought I'd post my thoughts on this, as I've read several questions regarding propane smokers in various places that never got any response. Picture attached.

Re: Great Outdoors Propane Smoker

I hafta agree with everything ya said...bought the same brand stainless model a couple of weeks ago at Sam's.

This is probably the most user friendly smoker that I have ever used...it's pretty much like them infomercial's say "Set it and forget it" ...I haven't had the temp vary more than about 20 degrees since I got it..

Did find a great chicken recipe that works really well with this smoker....take a chicken and wash well...towel him off and cover with REAL mayonnaise (I use Duke Brand)...then sprinkle liberally with seasoned salt...put 'er in the smoker and plan on leaving it about 1 hour per pound at 220 degree...it's done when internal is 180 degree or the leg joint just about falls off when ya give it a good twist...the skin will be rubbery, so if you want crispy skin, ya can crisp it up in a hot oven or on yer hot grill for a few minutes...I just throw the skin away.

Cook several at a time...the ones that don't get eaten will make some of the best chicken salad you ever ate

Pix attached

GareyD

Garey,
    You mentioned "internal temperature". I've turned the kitchen upside down looking for our meat thermometer without result. Then I started searching online... Found a Weber remote unit for $28 with free shipping here.
    I don't know anything about it, but generally Weber stuff is pretty good.

I have one of them remote units that I used on an electric smoker that I have....worked real well....electric will take a half hour or better to get back to temp after ya open the door....which adds an hour or more to the total time...

I have found on these gas/water models that heat recovery is so quick that all ya need is an instant read thermometer that ya can pick up at Wally World for about $5 bucks...buy several, they like to hide from ya....ya can open the door, check the temp, close the door and the temp hasn't moved more than 10-20 degrees and will be back to temp in a couple of minutes..

Using the attached chart, I only open the door 4 times during cooking...

1. Open door at half the recommended time...check to see if everythin is looking good, nothing fell down, and spritz meat if desired to start formin "Bark" on the meat.

2. Check at 3/4 time (1/2 of the remaining time)...check the temp to see if time is about what you expect...spritz if desired...

3. Check at 7/8 time (1/2 of the remaining time)...check the temp, probably gettin real close to done, if it is, pull and enjoy...if not done, spritz if desired...

4. Check at final time....if done to yer likin'...pull the meat and wrap in foil...let rest about 15-20 minutes...and enjoy.

To spritz, using a spray bottle, I use apple juice on pork...Use a flat (left open overnight, no bubbles) Coke on beef...the sugars will carmelize and add "Bark" on the meat....yummy [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

GareyD
    P.S. I never add BBQ Sauce while in the smoker...

Here's how I do ribs and it has always turned out good. Pull off one layer of the silver skin, coat the ribs with about a table spoon of table musturd then rub down with your favorite dry rub. Put some apple juice in a spray bottle and every hour for the first 5 hours spray the ribs with the apple juice. 20 minutes before the sixth hour baste with bbq sauce then again at 10 till the sixth hour and take up at the sixth hour............rc

OK guys -

You've had a few months with the GO smoker. I'm shopping for one now.

What's your longer term opinion?

Also, how is it on gas burn?

I'm still satisfied with the smoker, but really wish I had used it more... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Well, let me think...

I've used the smoker on just about a weekly basis now for the last 6-7 months...haven't had a single problem except it can't smoke enuff pork ribs fast enuff for all my hungry friends [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

To date I've smoked:
    Pork ribs - Beef ribs - Pork shoulder - Boston butt
    Beef brisket - Chicken - Turkey Breast - Fish - Cheese
    Beef Rib roast - Canadian Bacon - Country Bacon - Buckboard bacon - Ham - Salt - Potatoes - Almonds - and the wife caught me admiring her cat [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

A friend told me a great trick...watch for Boston Butt to go on sale and buy up about 5 or 6 of 'em and smoke them until they are 205 degrees internal..."pull' the meat and then vacuum seal them in about 1 pound packages and freeze...

Ya can pull out a pack and boil in bag or microwave it...add a little of yer favorite sauce...put it on a bun and tastes like it just came off the smoker...great for that unexpected gathering on a weekend afternoon [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, I'm still on my second 20lb. propane bottle

Sounds great! I appreciate the replies! If anyone else has got some thing to chime in on, I'd appreciate it as well.

I really surprised at how little the propane burn is!

Garey, you've obviously smoked more stuff than I have, several you mentioned that I haven't done yet, but I've also smoked oysters (great snack on a cracker) and salmon, as well as other fish; sheepshead, halibut, flounder, and my personal favorite, shark steaks.

Today, I didn't use a smoker; just the LPG grill. My wife and I were in Sam's Club yesterday and I'm a sucker for those tasting samples they have. So after tasting Bryan's blackened pork loin, I had to buy one; cooked it on the grill today and it sure is tasty. I've cooked pork a lot of ways, but had never bought a whole pork loin and cooked it before.