Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Outdoors Propane Smoker

Re: Great Outdoors Propane Smoker

GareyD, Don't admit anything until you have consulted with your attourney as Bird was a cop and like Marines once one always one.

Abvious attempt at entrapment --> "Garey, you've obviously smoked more stuff than I have..."

Be careful dude!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Bird, I buy whole pork loins fairly regularly...with a little Morton's Tender Quick, some extra brown sugar, marinated in the fridge a few day to directions on the tender quick, then smoked til 140 degrees internal temp, sliced thin and fried ya will have some of the best bacon ya have ever tasted...it's like the meaty part of the bacon without all the fat...

Pat, I know all about taking the fifth to keep from having to say anything that might incriminate me....not to be confused with drinking from the fifth...that usually has me saying too much at the wrong times [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Garey, have you ever tried pineapple juice for a tenderizer? Pineapple contains the enzyme that is the active ingredient of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer. Neat flavor... Hawaiian bacon.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

One these GO smokers... are you using the fine cuts wood or small chunk?

I'm so used to my pit (offset) that when I assembled the GO tonight I freaked out because the chip box is smaller than it looked in the store.

Pat, I've used a lot of Pineapple juice...as a spritz and as an ingredient in some BBQ sauces...never knew it was a tenderizer...I just like the flavor [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lister, I save the sawdust from the sawmill when I cut white oak, hickory and cherry...save the shavings from the planer...sack the chips from the PTO chipper & cut some of the larger limbs that won't fit the chipper on the bandsaw into smaller "cookies"...seems like a combination of sizes gives me a longer more consistent "smoke"...

Soaking all yer chips/chunks at least an hour in hot water seems to prolong the smoke too..I usually soak mine overnight.

I also usually throw a couple of "Kingsford w/mesquite" briquettes in the pan...a little charcoal seems to make a better smoke ring on the meat than just the wood alone...

Sounds good. I've got some smaller chunk left around for when I do little foil pouches so I'll finally use that up [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gary, Pineapple has papain in it (active ingredient of Adolph's.)

Papain is a protein-cleaving enzyme derived from papaya and certain other plants. Pineapple has a fair dose and as you indicated is tasty too.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I recently purchased the GO smoker. I finally got around to using it for the first time, and smoked a turkey.

Instead of using wood chips, I used very small, cut mesquite mini logs (about 3" diameter by 6" long). I placed these in a #10 can instead of the chip burner. I noticed that it did not smoke hardly at all, until I turned off the gas. Then it really smoked. I just didn't think I should have to turn the gas off for the smoker to work.

Also, the wood did not burn. It seemed like it turned the mini logs into charcoal. After 6+ hours of smoking, the wood was blackend, but still intact. I took it out of the smoker, and it burned just like charcoal.

My first thought was that it wasn't getting enough 0xygen; however, there is no way to change that, except on the top of the smoker (which did not make any difference when I changed it.)

Also, I could not get the temperature to stay below 250 to 260 degress. I really was hoping to keep it at 225. Any ideas? Do any of you have the same problems? I'm anxious to hear.

THANKS!!