Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Outdoors Propane Smoker

Re: Great Outdoors Propane Smoker

Mine maintained 225 like clock work with the valve set to a needle width above low and the vent set and about half way open.

It took about 45 minutes to generate smoke with wet chips and it lasted about 1 hour, then I had to swap chips and repeat. I'll try it with dry chips this weekend.

It's not going to "burn" the chips as the flame is not directly on the wood but they will smolder nicely. When I threw the smoldered chips in the pit burner they went up quick. I may punch one or two air holes in the bottom of the chip box to get a bit more air flow and keep using wet chips if the dry chips don't fair well.

I've got a big smoker but wanted something that was easier on fuel and portable. I saw this on ebay and made one similar except I Dremell-ed out a door on the side so I could feed a real fire instead of using an electric hot plate. Great for a party of two!

Flower Pot Smoker

pcluff,

I found that wood chips don’t last long enough for me. I have a pretty good supply of scrap hardwood boards around the shop and cut them about 6”X6”X1” or so thick. Just small enough to fit into the wood box. These pieces are dry and burn much as you describe. You don’t really want billowing smoke for the smoker. Just thin wisps of smoke that you can barely notice should last for a couple of hours or so. Look at the picture I posted in my first post and maybe you’ll get some idea of how much smoke mine is generating.
    You should have a vent on top of the smoker, as well as on the side near the bottom. I’ve got mine “wide open”. Regulating the temperature takes a little time. Like ListerD says, once you get it where you want it it maintains that temperature pretty well. Small adjustments to the valve take some time to show up on the thermometer so you just have to be patient. I’ve read that you achieve the smoked taste in a relatively short time and that you don’t really need more than a couple hours smoke.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I’ve read that you achieve the smoked taste in a relatively short time and that you don’t really need more than a couple hours smoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much how I see it. Heck even in my pit I don't do much over 2 - 2 1/2 hours of smoke for anything.

I want to taste the meat in the end with a hint of smoke, not taste the after results of a house fire.

Smoke is a flavor not the main ingredient [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I played with my GO last night some too, I noticed that adjustments to the valve take about 10 minutes to balance out visually on the thermometer on the door.

I'm no expert, just a southern boy who likes his BBQ and has had a little practice and a whole lotta luck with various smokers...here are some of the things I have found out....maybe they will help [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

First thing I noticed with the GO smoker is that ya need to orient the bottom vent holes with the prevailin' wind...it doesn't seem to draft well on it's own...a breeze blowin' through really seem to help the wood to stay lit better....

On days that I decide to run the smoker, I pull the meat outta the fridge and set it on the counter to come up to or close to room temp....go out a couple of hours later and load the wood box and turn the flame without the water pan in the smoker to get everything warmed up and the smoke to rollin'...when the smoke goes from a "house on fire" dark color and starts to turn light gray, I load the meat and fill the water tray with BOILING water, using the hot water keeps the temp from dropping and having to bring the smoker back up to temp...

Check your thermometer that came with the smoker...put a pan of water on the stovetop and bring it to a boil...temp should read 212 degrees...my thermometer read 235 degrees, so to smoke at 220 degrees, I keep the temp near 240 [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Now I've not conducted any scientific experiments or nuthin' but I've been told that meat will only absorb smoke til it gets to 140 degrees...if ya start with near room temp meat, at 220 degrees smoker temp, it will reach 140 degrees in the first 90 minutes or so depending on thickness...any smokin after that time is pretty much for the operator's benefit [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I gotta admit, I still throw a chunk or two in when the door is opened later in the "cook" probably don't help the meat, but it sure smells good when ya walk by the smoker [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

There has been volumes written about the wood ya should use to smoke with...I'm lucky in that I live in the country and have a steady supply from my own land and sawmill...I would however be extremely careful using scraps from kiln dried purchased lumber...ya never now what kinda ugly stuff has been sprayed on them boards to keep the bugs in check before ya bought it and sprayin with permethrin is fairly common practice to keep down the powder post beetle [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] when in doubt, light them scraps in a separate outdoor pit and when they are well charred transfer them to the smoker.

Sorry to be so long winded...but as ya could tell if ya could see the spare tire I lug around, smokin' is one of my passions [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I hope some of these ideas help.

Lister

You get one yet? I have had one of the great outdoor smoakers for over a year now - I LOVE IT. I've used all types before - this is the easiest (BAR FAR) &amp; also the best results at the end (that's what counts)
    I would recoment one for anyone!!

TW [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Yeah I got it [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Had fun so far, just the one issue I mentioned with the amount of smoke generated (or lack of). But I haven't had a chance to play with it this last week due to work.

Hi! Just bought the wide mouth version of this smoker for Father's Day. I have been googling and stumbled upon your thread here. Does anyone still visit here? Would love to discuss mods/etc on this smoker. We have been enjoying this smoker and hope yall return and put some life back into this forum. Looking forward to hearing from yall.

Yup and use it fairly often (weekly)... [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

For the price it's hard to beat. My only complaints:

It's not a very good cold smoker. As I said in the PM, I'm debating modifying it to take a Bradley smoke generator to allow cold smoking.

Mine (though a wide front) does not have the side vents. Only the top vent (air intake is in the bottom around the burner).

What is the lowest temp you have achieved? Mine was 230* so they are sending me a new control panel, after a call to their 800 number. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] There are several of us new GOSM owners who all seem to be experiencing this similar problem. Is there a link to how to use the Bradley element in our unit? I like the sound of this [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As mentioned in my PM, we have the same unit, the wide body. I got mine from WalMart but now wish I had gotten the Big Block from Home Depot.
    Thanks for your help!