Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Outdoors Propane Smoker

Re: Great Outdoors Propane Smoker

I can get and maintain 220 on mine.

I have a post over at the BS forums. One guy there has done it and will post pics the next time he goes to his cabin.

I also have the Great Outdoors unit and have trouble with maintaining a low temperature. Also at low temps I don't get much smoke. But the lack of smoke's not too big an issue as my wife doesn't like too heavy a flavor anyway. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The Bradly unit looks nice. I've seen them in the Cabela's catalog for years. I'm assuming that if you added the Bradly generator to a Great Outdoors unit you'd still need the burner in the Great Outdoors unit to hot smoke rather than cold smoke. But it would solve my low smoke production issue.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, I thought a handy guy like you would have designed and built his own. There is no dearth of examples to wraw upon. We are so blessed with good BBQ in this area that I have not had sufficient motivation to build one but it is on my lo-pri list. Right now I have to go unload yesterdays HF treasures from the car and repair a cabriole leg on a desk my wife bought for $15. See why my low-pri list gathers dust!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Just an FYI for those folks who have low temp issues: I contacted CFM mfg and they told me that i should be able to get a low temp of 180*, so they are replacing my control panel to see if that will resolve my problem.

They also suggested that I turn the valve on the propane tank to almost off, which I had already done but saw no drop in my temp. 230* was the lowest I attained. The reason I want lower is to do overnite smokes.

Happy smoking all!

Michelle

lanikai,

Thanks for the information. I'll dig out my manual and give them a call tomorrow.

Pat,

Some folks just need to be busy all the time! You need to learn to relax. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary,

Hope it works out for ya, too. I bought my GOSM on Father's Day, not sure how their replacement parts warranty works, but I have read good things on them. Let us know.

Anyone have a beer can chicken recipe to share? I tried one out tonite but it took what seemed like forever! I plugged the neck with half a lemon, which I guess slowed down the time. It must have taken 5 hours before it got to 175*. At any rate, it was good when it was done, but forgot to ask what recipe/link yall might use.

I rub my chicken with Tang

We've tried a number of things; lemon pepper isn't bad, but what we've found we like best is just to sprinkle it good with red pepper (cayenne).

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I like the Tang idea! I wish I could rub cayenne all over ours but the kids won't touch spicy stuff. Just no fun, I tell ya! LOL [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]