Thread: Chlorinator and Sprinkler system

Chlorinator and Sprinkler system

My neighbor asked me a question on how to disable his metering pump on the chlorinator while the sprinklers were running. It seems his sprinkler system comes straight off the well, and the house is connected to the water treatment system. He doesn't want the chlorinator metering pump running when the sprinklers were on, since the water going into the tank was not moving. The metering pump runs autmoatically since it gets its power when the well pump is activated.

Any ideas on hot to get a 24V multi-zone sprinkler system to disable the 220v metering pump? Any commercial products out there to meet this need?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Chlorinator and Sprinkler system

Hey, Joe. As you've probably already considered, install a relay from the sprinkler system to shut off the chlorinator. The problems with this set up are: 1. possible distance between the sprinkler control box (long wires to run?) or 2. they are putting un-chlorinated water in the house piping when the sprinklers are on. There must be a reason for the chlorine infusion, so now they'd but putting untreated water in the house (ice maker, taps run while sprinkling, dishwasher, etc). Some thoughts.

Re: Chlorinator and Sprinkler system

That's what I was thinking about the relay, except if multiple zones are active, you don't want the voltage feeding back to the other zones since all the zones would tie to one relay input. We almost end up getting into minor circuit design using relays, gates, etc... I told my neighbor to simply install a timer on the metering pump that would disable it during the water sprinkler time. Overall, I think he just want to design a digital circuit!

The chlorinator is used to remove iron from the well water. Clear water iron precipitates when it meets chlorine.

Thanks,

Joe