Thread: hobby farm suggestions

hobby farm suggestions

Dudes and dudettes,
    thinking about getting started with a hobby farm on 8 Connecticut acre, 1 lawn 2 field, 5 woodland. I've got a tractor/loader and implements, adequate funds, but what I don't have is a lot of time during the week. Maybe an hour of light before and/or after work What livestock, crop or garden activity would you recommend or more importantly, recommend against?
    Thank you all most graciously.

Re: hobby farm suggestions

The age old dilema: Adaquate funds - inadaquate time

Stay away from livestock/poultry/animals that require daily attention. There will be days there just aint the time and it may be a hassle rather than enjoyment.

Gardening, small landscaping projects - paths through the trees with sitting areas - perhaps a small plot of wildlife food - flower garden for butterflies or hummingbirds - herb garden [ surprizing how fresh herbs can comfort the palate]

Projects that do not require constant /daily attention. Something you can drop for a holiday and then pick up again.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon gave very insightful advice. I'll try to say something else useful... About those wooded acres... in addition to clearing some walking trails, you could consider removing any unwanted brush and or undesirable plants. For example, any poison oak vines or things with too many thorns that are too close to your trails. Any clearings with enough light for wild flowers? IF yes, scatter some seed. INvestigate various berry bushes, great for the wildlife and not too shabby for the landowner. These can be pretty low maint.

If you do cut any trees, dead or otherwise, or decide to elliminate some brush, consider chipping the portions that are small enough to be chipped and using the chips to "pave" paths. Over time the material will decompose and be returned to your wooded ecosystem, a better deal than burning. It will help retard weeds in the paths problems.

Maybe you will get into the paths and trails thing and want some "park" benches where you can rest and or stop to watch birds or take pictures of deer etc. If you don't want wood benches and tables due to maint issues, I have designed reuseable forms for pouring concrete benches and tables. They are simple, cheap, and easy to use. If you are interested in the forms, just ask.

If your property is very well fenced you might be able to consider some low maint animals that will basically fend for themselves if ignored for a few days. Depending on your predator situation geese might work or maybe a couple pygmy goats. I'm sure others will be able to make recommendatons. A good source of information is your extension agent. Try to contact your nearby NCRS unit for recommendatons.

Best of luck to you and how about some pictures of your hobby farm?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

By all means raise a few chickens, as they are little or no work, except feed, water and egg gathering, and cleaning the coop a couple of times a year. Let them free range, and the eggs will be the best you ever tasted, and they eat all the bugs too.

I would start small and see what works for you. Livestock, to me, offers the greatest reward but also has the most upkeep required as mentioned by Egon. Don’t jump into livestock until you are sure you can commit the time over many years.

If you want to clean up some land I recommend goats to eat everything down.

We used to have chickens and ducks as a kid but I don’t like them close to the barn or house.

Is this a weekend retreat ? Looking to make money ? Do you have any experience with animals ? its tough to give you answers without more info. One thing for sure, If your time is limited I would stay away from livestock.

Ron