Thread: Chicken coop / storage area

Chicken coop / storage area

I was thinking of (stick) building a lean-to on the back of the barn. The floor area would measure 4' X 8'. The cost would be about the same if I were to instead buy one of these metal buildings, you know, the back yard storage shed type. The floor area of it would be 10' X 6'. Your assignment, Mr. Phelps (should you decide to accept it) is to give me some thoughts and opinions.
    Also, does anyone have knowledge on the health aspect of chickens walking on treated lumber?

Re: Chicken coop / storage area

My coop is made of pressure treated lumber. No problems since the chickens don't chew on it. I built my coop on 2x8 skids so I can drag it around. The floor is covered with hardware cloth to allow the droppings to pass through. I move the coop every month so I never have too much waste build up under the coop. I used 2x2's for their roost and put 4, 2x6's down the center to allow me to walk inside. Nothing fancy, but functional. My chickens free-range during the day, and this also affects how you build your coop. Tractor supply has some good books on building barns and small buildings including coops.

Good luck,

Joe

Well, you'd get nearly twice the square footage out of the metal building at what you say is the same cost but I wonder how long the metal would last when exposed to chicked stuff. It isn't gavalnized and probably not galvalume, just a cheap paint job.

If you only need 4x8 ft floor you should be able to go lighter in the construction than a house. Skip the 2x4 on 16 inch centers and maybe consider recycling some free pallets for framing and siding.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

4X8 is small. You won't be able to keep more than a dozen birds in the coop and that's pushing it. Five or six birds will be a better size flock for that coop.

You may want to consider pole construction rather than stick. Two 4X4 posts at the corners, girts on 2' centers on all of the walls and 2X6 rafters with 2X4 purlins for the roof. I'd just pack down the dirt and throw some straw on it for your floor. This will be easier to clean than a PT floor.

Jassdad:

Have you considered the longevity of the chicken venture. If in the future it is discontinued can your lean to be used for something else. Perhaps make a design that could provide other use.

For chickens in a lean to I'd consider long and narrow. That way the chickens can each get a little more individual space. Don't forget the roosts and laying boxes. Keep in mind good ventilation and air circulation. Feed and watering sources? Entrance for the chicken's need only be a little door of one square foot or so. An outside run would also be nice.

Oh yes - are there any other suseptible people who could be conned - errr - convinced to clean the chicken coop.

Egon
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I should have given more information. The chicken venture is my experiment in the wonderful world of poultry. I will only have about 5-6 hens. If I don't succeed, as in: the all get ett by coyotes, well then the building gets used for storage. I never seem to have enough storage. I went to see the little storage building at a big chain store (that used to be associate with Roebuck). They are painted over galvanized steel. The unit I'm looking at is 10 X 9 floor space. Pretty good quality for the price. I missed the sale, but the clerk told me they'll have them on sale again in a couple of weeks (when the mowers go back on sale). They even come with a free floor kit. ooooo!

You might want to consider something like HD plastic sheeting or something to protect the metal on the inside where it will be contacted by high potency chicken byproducts which may be capable of pait removal and reacting with zink (galvanizing.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Wood flooring is fine, but chicken droppings on the floor are no fun to clean. Plain straw on the floor will mat with droppings, stink, ammonia builds up, and is a problem. I'd recommend using chopped straw roughly 8 to 12 inches deep. Some say wood shavings are best. Stir or toss it with a pitch fork every other day it remains dry & loose. It's also easy & keeps the work load down. If you can get the chickens to scratch around in it, it's even less work. I've tossed a hand full of scratch on it sometimes to get them started. After 6 to 12 months you'll have wonderful compost. Best of luck.

If it's possible, make sure the coop is facing south. Being in Tx, you know the kind of winds we get out of the north in the winter time. All my sheds are facing south for the cows to get out of the wind and weather. If you look around at other shed \barns you see that most sheds are facing south. Just my opinion of course and you know what opinions are like__________.

Dick Austin