Thread: Chicken coop / storage area

Hybrid View

Re: Chicken coop / storage area

You might want to consider something like HD plastic sheeting or something to protect the metal on the inside where it will be contacted by high potency chicken byproducts which may be capable of pait removal and reacting with zink (galvanizing.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Wood flooring is fine, but chicken droppings on the floor are no fun to clean. Plain straw on the floor will mat with droppings, stink, ammonia builds up, and is a problem. I'd recommend using chopped straw roughly 8 to 12 inches deep. Some say wood shavings are best. Stir or toss it with a pitch fork every other day it remains dry & loose. It's also easy & keeps the work load down. If you can get the chickens to scratch around in it, it's even less work. I've tossed a hand full of scratch on it sometimes to get them started. After 6 to 12 months you'll have wonderful compost. Best of luck.

If it's possible, make sure the coop is facing south. Being in Tx, you know the kind of winds we get out of the north in the winter time. All my sheds are facing south for the cows to get out of the wind and weather. If you look around at other shed \barns you see that most sheds are facing south. Just my opinion of course and you know what opinions are like__________.

Dick Austin